Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My portfolio just got a COMPLETE overhaul!

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
First off, before I show anything at all I have to thank my good friend Pedro (bitmap) Amorim. Without his awesome CSS knowledge I'd not have been able to get the website I've wanted for some time. Always helpful and without complaint, he did an awesome job and I am very very greatful. So.... THX MEXIGGER BURRITO!

With that, I present - www.adambromell.com

The main thing I wanted this to be was about what I love to do, environment art. My old site was a blog which at first I loved, but later fucking hated. Who gives a shit what I have to say? Just get to the art already!!

So, by focusing on my art with large thumbnails and easy navigation (as few clicks as possible is the goal here) I am hoping to really show my work off as best as I can.

In addition to the art work, I love to write about the art and the business. So by offering articles on the site and in a PDF download I am hoping anyone who reads it has their eyes opened, even if a little.

Now, the site is not 100%. There's still some bugs to iron out and as you'll see when you view some articles I have some images to finish.

But please, if you notice ANY bugs on there let me know. Which browser and screen resolution you're using would be useful as well.

Thanks everyon!!!

Replies

• Option
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Option polycounter lvl 18
    Looks absolutely great from here Adam!!!

MacBook Pro 15.4in Glossy
    1440x900 res.
    Safari and Camino.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shit man, its done! smile.gif super hot! its was a tuf bitch to crack aha. now.. onto other projects .. yes? smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yes wink.gif

For those at all interested, here are jpegs Pedro and I used to mock up the site and discuss fixes/bugs/changes/additions/whatever. They were all mocked up in Photoshop. From there he chopped up images or requested some new ones from me and we went from there.

http://eonix.shackspace.com/pfolio_aboutidea.jpg
    http://eonix.shackspace.com/pfolio_articleidea.jpg
    http://eonix.shackspace.com/pfolio_articleidea2.jpg
    http://eonix.shackspace.com/pfolio_bug1.jpg
    http://eonix.shackspace.com/pfolio_gallery1idea.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Looks nice!

One thing bugs me alot tho. For instance when I click on the (very nice) big tower thumbnail it brings me to ... yet another thumbnail. I must admit I gave up after a short while because I couldn't reach any big beauty image from your frontpage thumbs/links. You could take all the nice pics of the tower project and make them available as a big collage accessible straight from the start. You will save yourself a lot of update pain too.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    hmm..

2 clicks from the main page and you're at the beauty shots - that's too much?

Main Page > Gallery > Beauty

I wanted everything to fit within the main frame of the site (the box that lays on the graffiti background). So I think doing the collage you mention + the technical info may be a bit much, no?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well instead of clicking further my reaction was rather to go back up to the front page and try another project to see if it would bring me straight to big pics instead :P
    Maybe try to make a quick mockup -even if it goes out of the graffiti box- and compare the feeling you get when you go back to your current layout?

But yeah feeling like being inside of a rather complex structure like this kindof confuses me - but it might be a personal thing. But for instance it is very obvious on the dominance war stand page. I was like, "WHAT! All I gotto see is palm tree leaves and a block of concrete?" :P

Loving the artwork tho smile.gif
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    You know, after Pior mentioned it, having a "click for full view" or something similar on your gallery might be advisable. On a couple of the shots, I could see how they could potentially be mistaken for full shots and how it could get confusing.

But, like I have also told you, I think the site is fantastic and kudos to bitmap on the design.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Ah, bk and pior I think I get you guys now: the thumbs are so big they're mistaken for actual beauty shots, yah. I think, for me, I just see the cursor change to the finger and click it knowing it'll be a page. I like the "Click for full view" idea and will try and get that added.

Also, someone mentioned that at the top, where it says Articles, Contact, About that the "Articles" graphic should be different. The other 2 are links and this one is not. Makes sense.

Glad you guys are digging it so far.

Keep the comments coming!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Im a hater of all thumbs, so yea, I'd like it if the click on the first thumb took you to a page with all the images in the next thumbs. Just scroll down to see em all. Defintely nicer that way. Still, if you're lazy no big deal. I love the page layouts btw.

Also, people like to see flats me thinks? I dunno, I dont need em but maybe portfolio reviewers do.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I honestly have no beef with the number of mouse clicking involved...and yeah good work bitmap.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...and yeah good work bitmap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think you meant Brome :P
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    its good but text as images is a big no no.

oh and your articles header is 1px down from contact
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I noticed the Articles link misalignment too.

Also, I think that "Articles" should be a clickable link, since it's the same font/colour/placement as the Contact & About buttons, which are both clickable.

I'm not a huge fan of the "articles" drop-down list. IMHO drop-down lists like that should not be used on a site like this, especially when it just has 3 options in it.

I'd probably make the "Articles" link into a CSS drop-down, with the 3 articles as named links from it, so when you hover your mouse over Articles, it pops up the list, and one click on any of them takes you to the article.

Here's an example of what I mean - I think it'd integrate into the site better as well as saving users a few clicks, and generally being more intuitive: http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/final_drop.html

Also, I don't see the need for opening the article in a new popup window. Popups are bad...

Apart from that, good work smile.gif
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    The site is looking pimp Adam! Good Job!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i agree about the thumbnails, but i really like the site smile.gif also ( this applys not only to you ) but why not import all those enviros etc to a game rather than rendering it with fancy lightning ? wouldbe closer to what would be ingame hehe wink.gif

the towers are my favorite man , they are static, but have so much character !
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great I really like the redesign. I don't think the "gallery > gallery > beauty shots" is an issue if it was apparent that the thumbs on the main page where taking you to a gallery. Labeling the thumbnail images on the main page would help people know two things;
    1) More about what they are clicking on before they click,
    2) and that it takes them to more info and more shots.
    Think of the main page thumbs as headlines in a news paper. A photo alone on a front page could lead a few people to buy the paper, but a nice photo and a good headline seems to explain it best and catch more people.

Personally I would have the labels fade in on mouse over, or just put "gallery" in faded text in an out of the way corner.

Whats up with the werewolf? You're an enviro guy why focus on an unfinished character? Maybe another angle is needed? At least change it so it doesn't look like he's humping the concrete block... The neck on the werewolf still bugs me and I notice it before I ever start to consider the environment. Is that a neck or a tree trunk? I know you didn't do the model but maybe tweak it so its not so odd, or just remove it.

Maybe you can replace the wolf with a broken pillar that provides almost as much dramatic punch and color contrast? Keeping the focus on the environment. I think the shot still would need some anchoring centerpiece but why not make it something you did that impresses just as much and doesn't look unfinished.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Is there a bug with the Ben throttle section? It looks like it's missing a thumbnail with the blank space in between the two thumbnails. The only thing that bugs me is the werewolf in the Underworld environment since he doesn't look finished. Everything else looks very polished and then there is that project. It seems out of place. I imagine you really like this piece but it seems like the weakest link since it's doesn't look finished like all your other work.

Other than that I like the site as is, I don't really like the drop down form thing you have though, it might be better to just have another page for it. It seems to break the flow of your sites UI. Nice work though.

Alex
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...and yeah good work bitmap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think you meant Brome :P

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he meant goood work, as in good work on the site. not good work, like i did adam's art. :P
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Looks very nice Brome! Very clean and easy to get around.

The only thing that bugs me is not mentioning Singh by name.

- BoBo
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    looks great Brome!

your composition on the final shots sell the scene extremely well. Not too sure about the faceted characters, but it's you portfolio. smile.gif
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    I'd reverse the order of the items.. so you have your newest work first. that way if people do get bored half way through at least they've seen your best stuff, not your oldest.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    cool design.

I kinda feel like clicking on a thumb should take you to a page that is formatted similar to your articles, with a large header image, some text, and aligned smaller thumbs/images. just feels a little clunky atm especially when you only have 2 sub-thumbs on the detail pages.

I dig the about page, though i dont think the styles are assigned properly to the text there?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I totally agree with Vig. Everything is so well put together, and a nice site design, but then the werewolf and character on dom-war scene are two big eyesores right in the middle of both these pieces. They being removed would be fantastic.

A little nit-pick; every piece seems like a prop. Nothing is really taken to the grand scale. This is fine, but I'd like to see what can happen for you on a grand scale. Maybe something to think about for future portfolio pieces in lue of a tight perspective piece with a blurry picture backdrop.

Anywho, overall it's cool. Lots of pretty colors.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Holy crap! First off, thanks everyone for the input. I am away at the Conceptart/MassiveBlack workshop in Seattle so I will have to make this short & sweet.

Bug & comments:

--I think the weapon shop page is bugged a bit, the 2 thumbnails in there aren't aligned in the center and I'll work with Pedro on getting that addressed.

--Whoops, I meant to credit you Josh 100% on the girl. I'll change it when I get home :P

--The articles menu should be aligned. I caught it early on as well but I wanted to get this out before I left for the workshop.

--The article pages were meant to be 'second fiddle' to the site. Giving them their own, smaller, window seemed to fit that ideal best. And offering the articles in PDF format would allow people to 'take it with them', so to speak.

--I am trying to touch on different aspects of environment creation in the pieces I work on. The 2 that have the faceted characters was to show the environment with a character inside of it. While I like the outcome of 'Underworld' for this, I know I need to go back and pose Josh's character so its not so static.

--Based on the above comment, I will rearrange my thumbnails so that the 2 environments with faceted characters are last. IMO, newest piece doesn't always mean better so I will order them in the order that I think is most effective. The weapon shop is my favourite so I'll probably keep it first in line.

--I am going to add in a note on all gallery links so it reads something like this:

GALLERY:
    The Weapon Shop
    click the images for full resolution shots

--I like the idea of labelling the thumbs, but I also like having the thumbs being large enough that there is SOME idea as to what you're about to see but you have to click in to see more.

::::::::::

So yah, thanks guys. I wanted to write back to each individually but I am using my AD's laptop and I should probably give it back to him.

I'll write more once I am home :P