Home Technical Talk

is my wire ok?

HEx
HEx
Hello! I am making a yellow perch with the polycount about 3000, and i feel really unsure of myeself when it comes to the wire. Can anyone take the time to look at this and tell me if there is any stupid edges or unnessesary lines

the thing with this model is that i want the fins and the mouth and guills to be animateable (suposedly with blenshapes) It supose to get almost photoreal. I figured that i can do the fins in planes with alpha, but i had to do volume in the beginning of the fins, that later on turns compleatly flat. Though i am getting like 4 edges in 1 at some places, i wonder if it will affect my normal map?

borrewirewip.jpg

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The wire looks pretty good to me. The eye might be higher poly then it needs to be?

It depends if this game art or if its just for fun. BlendShapes aren't all that common in games just yet and you could animate the mouth and fins with bones pretty easily. Blendshapes might be the easiest and fastest way but it might not teach you useful skill you would be called upon to actually use in the industry.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I think some of those spine polys would be better used making the fins more rounded, try making the entire fish black and seeing what bits stand out as really sharp- several fins look pretty angular compared to the smooth body. nice work though
  • HEx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HEx
    Thanks for the response!

@ Vig:

I haven't done the eye yet, still working on it. As for the blendshapes, how could i do to make the fins contract without the use of blenshapes? I have made blendshapes to a game before and it was like 5 rows of code for the programmers, is it really uncommon nowadays?
    The fish itself is game art, but still for fun. It's meant to be portfolio material. But i still don't consider it a small item that won't be shown, It should look realistic at a medium range. I figured a 3rd person view character kinda like.

@ rooster:
    The spines needs to have volume, i tested what you said and it did look a bit dafted. The fins look stiff cause they are meant to have alpha on them, the alpha will give the shape of roundness (i hope).
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    ah, should have guessed smile.gif