Home Technical Talk

new to low poly

sir-knight
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
hey guys, I'm pretty new to low poly modeling, and fairly new to 3d in general, and my work has thrown me into the deep end right away.

We're in a bit of a downtime here at my work and they've let me explore 3d on the clock, usually I'm a pixel artist. I'm tasked with coming up with a low poly golfer, rigged for animation to test 3d feasibility for cellphone games.

Are there any low poly modeling resources (tutorials and such) out there? I can get the gist of it, but I'm afraid even in high poly situations my loop placement is not ideal.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What 3D app are you using? The Max Help Files have some nice tutorials for starting out with low poly. Honestly, there isn't a substitute/shortcut for doing it over and over again.

You might find it helpful to check out the low poly model thread, sometimes dissecting other peoples models can help. Vito also put up the Q2 player models, if you're really industrious I bet you could track down an importer and look at some low poly models in a little more depth. Aside from that google is your friend...

Ben Mathis has some good tutorials but they are a touch higher poly then what you'll be working toward they'll teach you some good tips that should translate well.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    thanks, that was the sort of answer I was expecting to hear, but hey there might have been a surprise twist. :P

I've been combing through Ben Mathis' site ever since I found it and it's helped me immensely in general.

I'm using Max8 currently

I've gone through several of the help files and just wasn't comfortable with the look and flow of the models, compared to what you guys are posting here, the max help models looked a bit suspect from what I can remember, but I'll go over them again.

What's the standard rigging procedure anyways? I'm seeing a lot of custom bone rigs but I'm quite tempted to use biped to rig, only issue being I can sense there will be a few issues with deformation since I'll be deforming fromthe center, rather than what looks like a single vert in some examples I found in the low poly thread.