Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I'm actually doing something!!!

Xeto
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Xeto polycounter lvl 17
Well I'm finally going to make something here. It started as a scene inspired by Metal Gear Solid and I'm starting to think that I'm going to make a level in the new unreal engine when I get my hands on it once I get back home.

I've only blocked it in so far but I'm starting on the watch tower. Here's the idea for the scene. It will probably get torn apart a lot once I get going and start tailoring it to an actual level. Its all blocking and very early but I plan to have the tower done by tonight and maybe more.

Blocking start

renderxd0.jpg

Small changes

render2en5.jpg

Tower so far

render3mq6.jpg

Nothing much to look at yet but I'll have more soon.

Replies

• Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    Alright the tower is at a good point and I'm gonna start painting some tiling textures to use in the whole scene.

towerwx1.jpg

tower2bv3.jpg

doorlg0.jpg
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I wonder how the lighting will work in this scene???
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    I'm not too worried about it yet. Blocking in the scene was really just a way for me to make a kind of list of what I need instead of doing a concept. I wanted to get right to modeling and texturing. I get home tomorrow and will buy Unreal 3 then and start building it in the editor as I finish objects. Once I build it then I'll worry about a lighting pass.

[edit] Or are you talking about the way Unreal handles lighting? I think once I get the finished meshes lighting shouldn't be a problem.

Does the new engine have a different way of lighting than earlier versions that I should be aware of?
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    Well I just got back from vacation and got all set up again so I've done some texturing to the tower. I'm doing all hand painted for these so it will take a little longer to get new textures up on these models but its moving...

towerfirsthj1.jpg

tower1lu8.jpg

tower2iz2.jpg
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, it's coming along.
    Just an observation with the tower, that spikey grunge you added normally only occurs pointing downwards, i think its from water running down the surface and taking dirt with it (or something to that effect). So just think about gravity when you are texturing that spikey grunge.
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah I was looking at that... I've seen it happen before in real life but I think where it looks strange the most is the top slanted area cause it would just not do that. So I'm going to have to figure that out. I just don't want it looking to bland. I may just be over thinking it and trying to plug in detail every where. I'll probably make a call on that a little later. Thank you!
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could just add some general area grunge, with no specific direction just dirt and grime. Just take some time and find some good reference and you will find heaps of inspiration and will not want to stop adding details grin.gif
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    You could just go to a water nearby if you have around or go visit a municipal water source.