Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stich guy says Hello 2008!

a little concept done in MUDBOX on this basemesh: http://www.davidostman.se/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/baseman.zip
the displacement makes his face a bit bloated.... not enough definition in the geometry.
little vray test
3dtvrayovrlrd2.jpg
head sketch
15259029zc9.jpg
stitcherooqa9.jpg

<font color="red">HAPPY NEW YEAR!</font> smile.gif

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    So nice! I love the natural feel of the face.

The render is superb too, I like the little dot floating around, makes it look nonCG, which is great! - still, one thing I'd love to see is a touch of reflected light hitting the inside of the arm just like what you already have on the underside of the throat. And I'd love to see this posed somehow.

Also I 'm sure others will ask it so ... would you mind sharing your render settings? I always hear that Vray/Mentalray renders are easy to pull out but each time I try I get nowhere near as this :P I end up getting bored and frustrated and go back to ing, telling me how much easier to the brain realtime previews are :P
  • Blue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blue polycounter lvl 18
    I like the soft look his flesh has. You can really feel the fat under his skin.

He feels sort of hand drawn to me, which is a refreshing change from the swarms of too-perfect models out there. If I were to suggest anything, it would be that his legs seem a bit too thin for his torso. Great model though, I hope I learn to make art that good some day.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    looks ok, nice render.
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    fucking ace work there. love every bit of it, enough of the stereotypical muscled man!
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    He looks like he would fit right into the Hellboy movies. Good work.
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    yeah looks real natural and realistic. Almost thought it was a real life sculpture. The only part that doesnt look quite finished is the foot. Nice work!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hands could be more polished too , but damn sexy work you have here ! ( right click + save )
  • iatriki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! smile.gif Sorry for the late reply. Yes, there are lots of overlooked and underworked areas(especially the hands and feet). I'll try to be more careful with my next concept. smile.gif

@piotr: the vray settings are pretty standard. I used 2 vray lights.
    frontsg6.jpg
    topwu5.jpg
    colmaplr7.jpg
    givh5.jpg

Here are the settings for the vray light above him:
    area1je3.jpg
    the settings for the light from his left
    area2tv9.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Iatriki thanks alot for posting that. All these little spinners everywhere! Ha!

I'll try to replicate this and will get back to you. Thanks again!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    strangly has a museum feel to it, supwurb
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iatriki, can't stress enough how grateful I am! This proved to be extremely useful - I think this is the simple, effective presentation tool I have been looking for for years.
    I really just replicated your scene here and added some colors and bevels - But I really want to create my own, personal virtual setup soon. As for your settings the one I didn't quite understand is your gamma. Why 2.2?

Anyways :
    monkey2.png

Btw I could't really bend Vray materials to my likings for the clay look end ended up using a max default for that. I guess it makes the render slower?
    Sorry for hijacking your thread - I can remove that if you want. Just wanted to share and to thank you again.
  • ThE_BirD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThE_BirD polycounter lvl 18
    great sculpt iatriki... The fleshiness around the lips is especially well done smile.gif
  • iatriki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ThE_BirD: Thanx! smile.gif
    @pior: that render looks very good. I'm glad I could help you out. You could bring even more life to it by setting the gamma to 2.2
    Here's a nice vray tutorial explaining about gamma 2.2
    http://www.aversis.be/tutorials/vray/essential_gamma_01.htm

gamma 2.2 is the default in unbiased physical accurate renderers such as maxwell and fryrender, and for good reason.