Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Plague Doctor

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
eboy polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys, first post here and since I know one of your members actually I'll say hello to Rooster (Rich) hows it going in Newcastle buddy?

Below is one of the game character for my new portfolio that I'am busy working on. As you can see he's a rather sinister looking plague doctor based on the ones from the London plague.

He is modeled using 3ds max and zbrush, and then textured in photoshop. I then took him into the Unreal engine that comes with Unreal Tournament 3.

His body and items are 7714 tris with a 2048x2048 map for diffuse, specular and normal.

His wooden stick is 164 tris with a 1024x256 map for diffuse, specular and normal.

I hope you like him and would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

plague_doc_low.jpg

Below is the high poly version done in zbrush:

plague_doc_high.jpg

Replies

• Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I've always liked the concept of that design of the plague doctor, and to me, this does it justice in a neat sort of way.

though the normals on that stick look a little weird, or all those black spots painted in the diffuse?
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Nice work!

Minor things, like Neo_God said, the stick looks a little odd, also (imo) a little small too?

Other minor niggles - the cloth on his upper body, especially on the arms looks quite dense , thick fibres, and the lighting/colour make it look like chain mail. Maybe soften up texture and add a little colour.

Finally, the beak could do with sharpening up at the tip to make it less like a sock, like :

a_grev_medico1_w.jpg
  • eboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eboy polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the replies guys, I'm glad you like it. I also understand what your saying about the little niggles. Firstly about the stick. It looks a little weird because it is meant to. Its based on the idea of it being very rotten and damp almost with large holes etc all over. This was painted in the diffuse.

I have seen the concept you posted JohnnySix and many others. Mine is an interpretation of them all and a style I wanted to do. I felt a pointed beak wouldnt fit with his oversized hands and shoes and going by his spine you can see he aint your ordinary dude wink.gif

His gown is meant to look dense and heavy with a strong burlap texture. Maybe that could be coming off a little chainmail like?

Anyway cheers again guys smile.gif
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    wasnt someone else doing a model very similiar to this?
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    wasnt someone else doing a model very similiar to this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, someone was doing a futuristic version of it. I don't remember who though.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    nice job on the hands there
  • noen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great job! great atmosphere, looks pretty mordern, and i think its nice too keep it looking contemporary,and i really agree that it is important as a designer to make your own interpretation of the charactor not making it as it should be.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I think it looks great because you have that dead ashy, necro green color scheme in there...a painted white cross somewhere on his clothes would make it more interesting too as back then they used that symbol for something ridden with the plague...actually nvm it kind of confuses it.
  • eboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eboy polycounter lvl 10
    Glad you like his hands Rich. Thanks for the comments guys.

noen - I'm glad you think its got a contemporary look to it. I was looking to give him a modern style.

pliang - Thats actually a good idea with the white cross. I like it. But if you think it would confuse it I'll take your word for it smile.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    oh shit I didnt even twig it was you hah, I skip the text and look at pics tongue.gif
    goin pretty good man! where abouts are you atm?
  • eboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eboy polycounter lvl 10
    Haha thats alright man I often skip text and look at pics too. I thought thats what you might have done.

Right now I'm in Glasgow with family for xmas. Seeing some of the crew from uni at new year. What you got planned? Are you and Tom considering coming up or is it Newcastle for the rounds?