Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gargoyle wip, could use some advice on rigging

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
Hey all. I usually just hang out, check out everyones work and offer some critiques. I've become fairly proficient in modelling over the years so I usually don't ask for alot of help.

My rigging and animating experience is pretty limited though and I'm kindof having issues with my gargoyles shoulders.

I probably could've modeled him a little cleaner, but at this stage he is done. His mapping is complete ect... It's just kindof a fun side project for me and I'm not looking for perfection but I want it to be decent.

I modeled and rigged him in a t-pose. Now it's time for his 'walk' anim which is gonna be more of a crawl, he's deffinately gonna be four leg biased. I want him to look more like a creature in game than a human.

So his arms have to be rotated quite a bit foward. This is causing some ugly issues with the polys.
I know how to weight the verts and all that.

But my question is what do you all think about the position of his upper arm bones. I tried to keep the skeleton fairly simple as he is stone, I figured his hands /feet will be fine with just one finger, ect...
I'm wondering if maybe I should add some collar bones to smooth out the twisting in the shoulder area.
I'll have to re-rig at least the upper arms if I do that, but I think I'm gonna have to rerig them anyway.

I'm thinking I've got the pivots too close to the spine (front view) and too far back (top view)
gargshoulderfronthf6.jpg
gargtoplb6.jpg

I think before I start rerigging and moving those bones I'd like to hear some advice. Do they seem out of place?

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I'd like to see the whole thing first.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Well, here's a beauty shot. It shows the way I want him to walk/crawl. Might end up planting hands and hopping back legs. Not sure really, I'll just have to see how it goes.

gargoylestalkip9.jpg

You might be able to see the deform in that pic. -EDIT, nah, I guess you can't see the deform it's hidden by his head.

I did mess with an arm a bit. It's better. I moved the bone foward and WAY lower than I thought I'd have to. I rerigged that arm a few times. Up late with the flu frown.gif-

I ended up moveing some verts and turning quite a few edges.

So it is better now on one side, so I guess my question is changing some. Should I have thought this out better and modeled him in a crawl position? What would you guys have done?

I can grab another shot if it'll help.