Home Technical Talk

Rigging query

Trying to work on my softbody rigging but cant seem to find a basic flour bag rig tutorial. If anyone has found a good one before I'd appreciate it.
Oh and I haven't been able to find one on the various tutorial sites I've frequented in the past (3dbuzz, 3dtotal etc)
thanks ;p

http://cryocat.blogspot.com

Replies

• Cryocat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh and I'm using 3ds Max 9 and theres nothing really useful in the software documentation.
  • Mark Dygert
  • Cryocat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    right. I know the soft body collection is a part of reactor. However the documentation on soft body and reactor in the software is limited and theres no direct tutorial for a proper rig utilizing it, just wondering if anyone has found a decent tutorial discussing this workflow/setup. Thanks again.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you searching the user reference or the tutorials? There are very detailed step by step tutorials about making a squishy ball bounce down steps as well as a bunch of wobble toys. All of which give you the foundation you'll need to set up what you need. In case your help files are... dorked... I'll give you a quick run down, since it is pretty simple.

1)
    Create a plane, with it still selected go to;
    The main menu > reactor > Create Object > Rigid Body Collection
    Note: This will add the plane to the list of Rigid Body objects reactor will watch. You can add any object you wish to be a collision object to this list. Things NOT in these types of collections will be ignored by reactor.

2)
    Create a sphere, with it still selected go to;
    The main menu > reactor > Create Object > Soft Body Collection
    Note: Again the sphere should be added to the list of soft bodies, if not you'll need to add it.
    Doing this will also add a modifier to your object called "reactor SoftBody", IF it did not do this, select the sphere and go to;
    The main menu, reactor > Apply Modifier > Soft Body Modifier

3)
    Click the plane and go;
    The main menu > reactor > Open Property Editor > Under Simulation Geometry change it to Concave Mesh
    Now Preview your animation; The main menu > Reactor > Preview
    Close the preview window when you are done, or it won't let you go back to max, its pissy like that.

So quick recap;
    - Create your collection objects, soft and rigid
    - Add your meshes to those objects (does this automatically if you have the right object selected when creating the collections)
    - Apply the soft body modifier to the squishy objects (again does this automatically)
    - Switch your collision mesh to convex hull
    - Run a preview

You can also create most of those objects quicker by using the reactor button menu, I think it is turned on in the default UI.
  • Cryocat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for your quick reply and help. Forgot the concave mesh aspect for one. Got these things working, still trying to figure out how to get this flour sack rigged up to work with this but I'll look further into it.