Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Orc Hybrid

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
clee101 polycounter lvl 18
Hi all, its been a while since I posted here. Heres an Orc Hybrid I did. Its a mix between an orc and a tauren. Any C&C are welcome.

First, heres the concept done from my friend, Miguel Lleras
miggsta_orc.jpg

OrcHybrid_render2.jpg

OrcHybrid_render1.jpg

OrcHybrid_render3.jpg

Replies

• Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    I love the concept and the model is coming along well too. It would look a lot better with some specular, at least for beauty renders. Blizzard should look at this as a new race idea lol. Awesome stuff.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Amazing...now what I'd do would be enhancing the details along the musculature, knuckles and such then apply spec to it.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Looking nice, but the hands aren't doing it for me. I think you should bulk up the knuckles and joints some. make them look more brutal.
    Apart from that, awesome!
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    First, heres the concept done from my friend, Miguel Lleras

[/ QUOTE ]

So that's his name? We have a good amount of work by him in our gallery at school. Just came in a few weeks ago. All that's ever signed is "ML". So, naturally, a few of us were curious who this guy was. This is solid, but I enjoy his environment work a lot more. :]

This is looking great, but the detailing of the skin, namely the chest and back, looks a bit lower res than that of the armor. Can't wait to see more. :]
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

Xaltar- hmmm.. spec maps? I dont know if thats ok.. Im aiming for an all hand-painted texturing meant for in-game character.. Should I still make a spec map? or pop some more highlights in the diffuse?

Pilang- yeah Ill go back in those areas and polish more of those finer details.
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelgoat- yeah I think your right. Ill definitly go and bulk up those hands and knuckles.

Geezus- Is your school AI(art institute) we show alot of our work there. Yeah Ill go and touch up more details on the chest and back. Especially the back..
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    I could have sworn i saw this concept posted in the Art Institute of Pittsburgh alumni show... is it the same one or is my memory foggy.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would go ahead and make a spec map for him. Its a seperate texture so you wouldn't have to use it in game but it would make your renders pop really nicely. If this is a portfolio piece (it should be) then you want it looking as hot as you can make it. Getting that sweaty look on his skin in the right places will bring the character to life. Tighten up your details on the skin and throw in a bit more color variation first though, some blues and subtle purples will give the skin a more lifelike appearence. Then make a spec map for your beauty renders wink.gif

If the spec looks good then you could bake it to your diffuse with the right lighting setup and make him look really hot in game too. Just be sure to keep a backup of your origional skin smirk.gif (I've forgoten to do that once or twice lol)
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    need to work on those alpha planes. you can still clearly see the outline of the polies. need to make it fade out sooner, so it looks like fur.

are his horns part of a little helmet?

i see a lot of orc in him, not so much tauren
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i feel there's too much orc not enough tauren. give him some back hair, or a mane or something...
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    I was about to say what Gir was...the only Taurenness I see is his horns, and it seems almost a bit off

besides that, the model looks great, more detail in textures!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Xaltar- hmmm.. spec maps? I dont know if thats ok.. Im aiming for an all hand-painted texturing meant for in-game character.. Should I still make a spec map? or pop some more highlights in the diffuse?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, do a specular map, even World of Warcraft uses specular maps, I think.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    Geezus- Is your school AI(art institute) we show alot of our work there. Yeah Ill go and touch up more details on the chest and back. Especially the back..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. Though, I should say it was, since I graduate this thursday. It was actually the first display geared towards game art. Something we had been pushing for for awhile.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    What I'd do in regard to that would be some hair and a tail perhaps.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For this style of texture i would paint the specular highlights directly into the texture. Really spec maps without normals look quite shity. WoW using spec maps? I'd have to say definitely not.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    They're used subtly in a few areas on the ground plane, but yeah, no where on the characters.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, most ground textures have greyscale spec maps.
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all for your helpful C&C. I too agree that it doesnt have more tauren features in him. During the whole process I only focused building directly from the concept... I think Ill try out along the lines of what pliang said and add some hair and a tail. Sectaurs- yeah thats his horns coming thru that helmet gear. I think I will try baking in the spec into the diffuse. Updates coming soon...
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    If it was up to me and wasnt going to the specifications of a game engine I would put in the shiny bluish specular on the skin you see on the concept into a spec map
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres a bit of an update.. made the hands and knuckles bulkier. Fixed alpha of the fur so it fades earlier.

OrcHybrid_render6.jpg

OrcHybrid_render5.jpg
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    it seems like if the leg-armor had pattern like the shoulder armor, it would make more sense. leave the center area (belt) unique

also - very sharp edges on linear forms (the straight lines with hard edges) compared to the soft body rendering. it's inconsistent.

suggestion: make the face brighter
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok another update... Touched up the back, hands, added a bit of cool color to the skin. Shaped the horns a bit.

Shotgun- you're right. I brightened up the face.

OrcHybrid_render7.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really good now, the only thing I can think of that could use more work is the kilt thing, the cloth looks a little washed out compared to the rest of the model, tighten up the creases and darken them a bit to get them matching properly. Nice stuff smile.gif
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    He looks really good. My only critique, and this is a personal taste thing, would be that his muscles look outlined which is a little distracting. I like to think about the skin that is on top of the muscles. I typically try to hint at the muscles without completely drawing each individual shape out. The only other thing would be that he's missing a finger from the concept. smile.gif

Showing a lot of promise keep it up!

- BoBo
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great, you where pretty faithful the concept, nice going.

aside from what bobo mentioned I think you need to work on the fur sticking out of the boots. A single plane doesn't seem to be very convincing from different angles. A few more planes and the fur will look nice a fluffy like the concept.

The snout looks a bit longer on the concept but because of the sneering pose it is scrunched up. The mouth you modeled looks a bit more like an orc mouth then a scrunched tauren snout.
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrcHybrid_render9.jpg

Xaltar- Thanks. Yeah your right, I pushed the darks in the creases and folds and popped the highlights on the cloth.

Bobo_the_seal- Thanks. Its an honor to get feedback from you. I tried what you were saying about the skin being on top of the muscles and made it a bit more subtle, and I think you were right, it does look and feel more natural and better. About the missing finger from the concept, I changed that part to be a bit more tauren like, but I also think its kinda late to add that now?

Vig- I added a bit more planes to the fur on the boots to be more fluffy and pulled out the snout a bit. Thanks.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Heh I was joking about the finger smile.gif

He looks great! Call him done and move on to the next one smile.gif

- BoBo
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Bobo, Im gonna get ready for the Dominance War 3 next.