Home Technical Talk

Inscriptions and details

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
In Johny's post, Art and Shit Dump, he has some hand guns that have very nice details on them, particularly on the sides. Later down the post, someone asks how he did that and Vig says he probably did it with Zbrush. Now I don't know Zbrush at the moment, is there a way to do it through Photoshop alone?

here

Replies

• Ape.of.Gods
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ape.of.Gods polycounter lvl 15
    You can try to mimic bevels with photoshop and even the cylindrical smoothness, but the results wouldn't be very good close up.

Not sure his process, but Zbrush wouldn't be necessary for what he did, just high poly modeling and photoshop. All the decrotive detail on the pistol and texture stuff is done in photoshop and the overall form of the normal map done in any modeling package.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Photoshop + crazybump
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    How I'd do it: High poly modeling with insane accurate reference...crazybump or other apps to bring out the detailed depth or with photoshop.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Photoshop a displacement and crazybump or render a mesh with displacement map and get your normal from that?

I think it is pointless to sculpt in that detail, no idea if that is what Johnny did or not... either just photoshop it, or use a spline projection/extrusion or displacement map.
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    I'm not big on modeling all that detail, so I'm gonna try the photoshop-crazybump approach. It might not look as good as modeling it out, but I know it has to be quicker, and still have some decent detail. Thanks a lot everyone for your help! smile.gif