Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

my portfolio and resume

Sir_KnowS
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Sir_KnowS polycounter lvl 18
Greetings,
I've been working on my online portfolio and resume in preparation for job hunting.Here's my gallery.
Here's my resume . There's a link at the bottom of the page to see it in a .doc form.

critiques? comments?

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    thumbnails are too small.

you don't seem to have any texture flats shown?

you've a nice painterly style, though it approaches being too simple on a couple pieces.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    OMG! Not the futuristic car from hell!

You should totally finish up that Bronx texture.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    No Splash, No News (Updates page), Gallery = index (main page)

Real thumbnails, no cropped sections

Remove info next to thumbnails, leave the info on the full image page

Organize thumbnails into standard rows and columns. (2 rows of 4 columns would be best)

Navigate can be improved by adding link to next image on the full sized images (For example, if I click blunderbuss image, it loads hatchet page, and so on...)

Details, such as tricount, texture sheets and sizes, dev time, etc. are always nice.

Remove 2d Gallery

On Resume page put RESUME first, then Q&A after.

Q&A is titled "3D GALLERY"

Overall, your work is clean and has a nice painted appearance, but nothing really stands out as a serious piece that defines your skill. Such as, a full character or full environment (which ever direction you want to go most)
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I also think some actual lighting instead of apparent real time viewport grabs would be good.
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    weapons are top notch! reminds me so much of TF2. Im let down though by your characters and your car. Although it seems you have great work...on a plain website. Make the actual website more interesting and reflect your artistic talents. Keep it up though...i like your style a lot
  • Sir_KnowS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx for all the input
    Ill get to work on your suggestions
  • systmh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hah! the ZF1. i want it. does it fold up like in the movie?
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    loose the car, it's not your best work
  • Acord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoomed in thumbnails are not good, and your thumbnails are too small to give a good idea of what we're seeing. Make the thumbnails bigger, and they need to include the whole picture.

Lose the car, or at least do your own texturing for it.

Lose the WiP - if this is your portfolio, don't include unfinished work. People might get the wrong idea about your work ethic.

Make sure you put your name and email address on your images. That way, if someone wonders across it(like doing an image search in google) they can be lazy and already know how to contact you.

Lose the ambient lighting on the models. They're too bright, and contrast will bring out the details.

Center the web page - on a high res screen, it tends towards the left side.

Put your contact information right on the web page. Users are lazy, and you should show them any information that they want right off the bat.

Make sure that the text you add in your images is SEO kosher. And once you're done with your page, don't forget to submit it into the search engines.

Looks good so far - I love that gun. Fifth Element? wink.gif
  • Sir_KnowS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden
    there is a splash page, I just directed the link straight to my portfolio. Here's the start page
    I'm leaning towards an environment artist position. Last I heard the industry needed these artists and it would be a good way to break in.

systmh, Acord,
    the ZF1, from the Fifth Element, does open up. I haven't uploaded the movie yet.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    If you're interested in doing environment art, potential employers who visit your site will want to see environment art samples you have created. Your gallery consists of weapons, a creature, and a car. without reading your posts here, i would have no idea environment art would be of any interest to you.

Id combine the six shooters, for a second, i thought they were the same piece just duplicated; one as a wip and one as a final.

The first two textured pieces are cool, but the rest of the portfolio doesn't live up to them.

for the site, im not a fan of the colors, the green and yellow is a bit garish. but, whatever floats yer boat. The header does not continue to the right edge of the window in firefox

In the about me, write it like an artist statement, not a Q&A. It's a definite plus to be avid about games when creating them, but imo isn't something that will get you a job because you read manuals that come with games smile.gif If anything, i'd lose that section entirely from your resume, and move it to a specific "personal" section. Even there, I would write about yourself without giving yourself a Q&A.

in your updates, you have a bunch of old news, with information that doesnt exist on the site anymore. delete that stuff! IE, you can click on the highpoly girl link and get a demoreel button at the top, but it doesnt exist anywhere else.

get some more finished content up there, build up a strong portfolio from those finished pieces, and you'll be good to go.
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    The thumbnails are really bad. Your work is 10 times better then they lead the viewer to think.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Also, if you are going to have an 'update' page actually update it, says it hasn't been updated since March which would make us believe you haven't done any 3D work in many many months.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Changing the date would work...actually don't do that
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DGURU polycounter lvl 17
    an error shows and says [don't send] , lol ...
  • Acord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better not to include dates etc, unless a large body of your work is apparently very old and you want to sort of archive it.
  • danpants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpants polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work. I agree the thumbnails are too small. I didn't like having to click the gallery button to look at another image. Your modeling is great, nice and clean. Your textures are good but I think that you might adjust the lighting it looks like your images could really be improved if you just adjust the levels. And really bring out the colors.
  • Sir_KnowS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Happy Holidays,
    thanks for the comments. I've given the website a new look and changed the way I display my models. For instance here's the ZF-1.
    And here's an example of the ZF-1 opening.

Also I've reworked Bronx some. Here's a rigging test/walk cycle of the new model.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    have you changed the thumbnails? they're pretty annoying, I have no idea what I'm going to see when I click them
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Lose the About Me section ENTIRELY. It just comes off unprofessional, like you're interviewing yourself. None of that is relevant at all, except the education question, which is included in the actual resume. I would also take off Hardcore Gamer from the top of your profile. Again, it just looks unprofessional.
  • ryuju
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your UT mod link takes you to the Polycount page
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    I played with your self portrait, hope u dont mind
    sammy.JPG

I think your work's very clean, very well articulated, but doesn't show me the best you've got. You can push some of the textures and equal them in terms of detail to your 3d geometry. In its current form, your portfolio is solid but small and lacks a punch.

I don't think you need to scrap the about section (although asking questions is an odd way to give answers). If you have something to say - just say it.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice clean and stylized texturing and modeling there, like it. Overall pagedesign is not that good-looking though, and the Q&A is a bit wonky. Thumbnails are too zoomed-in to be informative. Skip the splash-screen. "About" page is a bit big maybe. Would be nice to see some more work, too! Maybe other types, different styles?

Cheers,
  • Sir_KnowS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greetings,

ryuju,
    the link has been corrected, thank you.

shotgun,
    nice work. I wish I looked that good.

I'm still deciding on the changes to make. So far I've changed the UPDATES page to HOME and just have a paragraph welcoming visitors. I've removed my resume and the QnA entirely for now; still revising them both.

Some of the immediate additions I'll making are new thumbnails, adding the name of my website to the images and adjusting the page to take into account widescreen monitors.

Once again thanks for the critiques.
    my site
  • Sir_KnowS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greetings,

several thumbnails thumbnails now have new bigger images. The corresponding images now have my URL in the picture.
    revised gallery page
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
  • Sir_KnowS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greetings,
    sorry for the slow updates. I needed to spend some time on actual job hunting. I reworked the thumbnails and made some for the 2D images aswell.
    gallery page

The old western gun is the same for now. I've already started mapping it and getting it ready to be textured.