polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Husch polycounter lvl 18

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looks interesting, good reference. Too bad they didnt include more character info in the collectors edition.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I tryed it with my Zombie head but it didnt worked. I cant see the head in the game, just a headless Reaper. Its like UT cant find it but im sure i linked it right in the ini. frown.gif
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    looks interesting, good reference. Too bad they didnt include more character info in the collectors edition.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah,If I remember - They didn't do even at UT2T4 ( just character modeling under Maya , but no video about import into the game).
    This is a good start.

maybe one day more details here -
    to Make Custom Content Characters
    Coming soon.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UT3Mods.html#Overlay
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Look for your package in your /My Games/Unreal Tournament 3/UTGame/Unpublished/CookedPC/Characters/ folder.
    Thats where UEditor saves it.

Throw it in your regular UT3 character folder (your installation folder).
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Thx!
    Looks good in characters options:
    zombieinut.jpg

I encounterd some problems in the game, the whole character was turned 90° to the side and he was flying over the ground but i fixed it by changing some values in the mesh properties. Another Problem, i have no solution for, is that the projectiles are coming from above the head.

I dont know how i can change my uvw and texture so that it fit in the upper half of the 2048x2048 Head texture (only the upper half is for the head, the bottom is for helmets). I have a 2048x2048 texture and it want to rescale the uvw to 50% and put it in the upper right corner but i have no clue how that can be done in max? The problem is that it have to be pixel exact, so typing 50% somewhere would be an idea but i cant find something like that in "unwrap uvw" frown.gif
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    Is it ok to move the ref skeleton around to fit your mesh? Just rotating bones not rescaling or anything...
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 17
    davision3d:
    the uvw xform modifier can do what you need. changing the u and v tiling will scale the uvs and offset moves them.
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    I´m having trouble too...two questions:

-Does anyone know how to set up the teamskins?
    I tried adding _VBlue and _VRed to my materials, but that didn´t work.

-I have a normalmapped head and it has hair.
    Since UT3 doesn´t use DDS anymore it´s hard for me to get translucency/alpha mapping working.

I tried setting up a opacity mask but it seems like it only recognizes black and white...no greytones.
    In the customizer the hair shows up like it should (except for the hard edges) but when I start a match the opacity gets lost.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    thx spitty

also tweaked my material:
    zombieinut2.jpg
    Strange that the specular gets blue when sss shines through.

@ Slaught
    I bet you have to set up something in the import settings to get the opacity working right, but dont know
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Slaught, are you able to set the shader to unlit transparency.

Davisison, do you have a shot of the specular getting blue when the SSS shines through? I have a feeling you might be getting some unclamped values messing up your colors.

try putting a constant clamp on your transmission mask.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    You can see the bluish spec at his ear.
    Im using a material tree from the other player models as the base and it has like 138 instrutions, dont want to get into it and mess things up. Anyway the sss is only seeable in character customization.
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    Got a couple of questions if anyone has some time please, I apologise for the use of English.

Actual Character Source File Questions

1) Why is there a biped skeleton and an additional rig? Is it just purely that biped is used to help scale characters in figure mode. Because as soon as you remove bip root / bip01 you remove the animaiton data?

2) If I wanted to animate a character, would it be better to make my own rig, use character studio and rename the bones to b_, sit tight and wait for udn to fill in some more documentation.

Tutorial

Good easy read smile.gif Like your zombie davision! Would love to see that face rigged.

PS I exported the file to obj / max 7 and lined up all the bits so if anyone wants to have a look at the male source without having to get max 9 / 2008 upgrade let me know. I haven't re-rigged anything, its just the modelled objects and such.

Cheers

Greg
  • animeboyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animeboyz polycounter lvl 17
    Any idea if it's possible to export from Maya? Or is it 3DS Max Only so far?
  • Husch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Husch polycounter lvl 18
    For Maya download the FBX and Collada version of the skeletons here:
    http://www.oxynary.com/downloads/UT3CharConv.zip

Converted from 3D Max by oXYnary, read about it here:
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=249159&page=1&fpart=1&vc=1
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    Did some lurking,

This post has a lot of character information which may be useful to you guys.

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=192477

Some mapping bits and pieces,

http://www.unrealplayground.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48153

I have a ton of links if anyone wants to make a UT 3 Resources sticky.

Greg
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    sorry for reviving a dead topic but i have no clue in how i can import a custom helmet into the game?

Is there any way i can import the helmet so it can be used with every character skin? without attaching it to the head models?

Basically what i want to do is make a bunch of accersories (ex: shoulder pades,
    glasses and helmets) that can be used ingame with all the characters.

heres a quick picture of the helmet, the head models epics i used it for porportions :/

helmethelp.jpg