Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: Demon Head

This is just something I've been working on since last night. I think it's approaching a fine polish but I wanted to get some critiques.

Some problems I have: It doesn't look as human as I want it to. Nose, eyes, chin, etc... aside, the skull shape is what is bugging me. It's too spherical and I think I need to bring in the sides a bit for a temple of sorts.

Mouth is bugging me as well but I don't have many ideas for that at the moment.

demonworkuc4.jpg\
gridvs6.jpg

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    do you intend for this to be low poly, or high poly (subdivided)? it appears as if you started with one method, and got lost in the other doing a series of random extrudes. there are areas of low edge density that need more defined shape, and areas with too many edges that provide no shape at all.
  • Divide By Zer0
    I think you're skin texture should have a bump to give it maybe a scaly appearance. Maybe change the specularity so that it looks slimy. Only thing I think really needs work is the bone piece showing on his scalp. That needs a heavy bump or normal map to make it look indented. right now it just looks like a glitch in the texture.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with /0. The skin could use some more interest. Right now the texture is too soft and smooth. The skin around the skull piece needs some depth to it. Right now it makes the skull piece look like a decal.
  • BassAckwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the head looks a bit to round...i you want it to look more human grab some reference for skull shapes for what ever gender it is, and maybe narrowing the jaw a it being so round reminds me of krang from ninja turtles except for the jutting jaw...you started with a sphere?
  • Valkier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All right, I'm new so I should probably get this out in the open. I'm a fairly dense person. I like getting critiques, but I need them spelled out fairly clearly.

What I am seeing is:

Jaw too round
    Skin texture too smooth
    Confused on high and low poly

I agree with all the comments. That said, where should I look at fixing the mesh to make it a high poly. I see around the nose, but I do lack professional experience for the most part (I have had training. Just fine tuning my craft if you will) so I'd love some more detailed advice.

Other than that I have started altering the mesh to make room for the improvements and will be redoing the normal and UVW maps.

Thank you for any and all advice guys.
  • Valkier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a few changes. Looking for more feedback.

demonfacevy4.jpg
    demongridym9.jpg
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    One thing I keep seeing up with this piece is that the functions are kind of iffy...why the double jaws...its better if you also tell us what the demon really is before you keep adding on to it.

From this piece it looks like you're going for a more dead decayed state on the skin...in that case some more hints of gangrene and worn would help a lot more and bring it to life...as of now it seems stylized in a flat snoothed, plastic look.

Some pig and rough skin texture would help out a bit more.

The veins are also a little big and seems scattered around.

Keep us updated.
  • Valkier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The idea behind the monster is kind of a nightmare beast of sorts. The original incarnation was more for shock and "WTF" effect. This one has a bit more purpose. The lower mouth continually speaks in whatever language of the the victim in a soothing tone to keep them asleep with whatever spell you might fathom while it carefully approaches to end the poor fellow/womans/kids life.

Meanwhile, the back eyes can actually see into the persons mind of what his front eyes are looking at. I wanted bigger veins over his face because my mindset was he'd need a lot of blood pumping into all the extra bits of his face as well as add a bit to shock factor. He's not really decaying, but I do like the color scheme. He works mostly at night so he'd be very very pale. The different colors is just supposed to be how close his skin is actually do his greenish brown blood, or the black obsidian-like bones you see jutting from his skin.

As far as the skin texture, I'm still torn. I want something of a leathery tough skin look to it but I was mostly focusing on the normal and diffuse for the time being. I'm working entirely in 3Ds Max due to lack of ZBrush.

demonfaceex2.jpg
    Edit: Added a picture with skin texture
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I think you have some cool ideas but you've rushed the design.. if the lower mouth whispers sweet words to the victims, it could make visual sense to make it friendly almost and soft (I dont believe that mouth could say much other than 'raaaugh'). I think it should have a neck too, just having a jaw hanging off doesnt look right- the muscles he would need to operate the jaw also don't seem present, it seems like it would just flap about

like I say youve got some cool ideas, dont rush too much and you'll do them justice wink.gif