Home Technical Talk

Old school pixel art question

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
seforin polycounter lvl 17
hey everyone now this is a bit off but kinda a bit funny since the first thing I ever did video game related was pixel editing megaman sprites (hince the icon) almost like 9-10 years ago at this point.

anyway the point of the matter is this, Im trying to do a rather simple old 16 bit (thinking more the sega/snes style days) style screen and I wanted to create a logo that was done similar in a pixel style animated.

now my question is this. I noticed now days there some DS// SP games that were all done in pixel art form. now was there any special programs to go about making these? I know a pixel is a pixel but I mean more along the lines of sizing and such?

Like If I wanted to create something the size for a SP/DS screen? Are there certain numbers etc?

Also animating how does that work, do you draw every frame at a time or is there a method somewhat around this (Like is there a system that was used to just redraw certain pieces etc)

I remember I took some old megaman sprites way back when and did a basic animation but I remember how painstaking that was and I was wondering if the methods havent really changed over time?

Also I was thinking something like this (MACH SCREEN DONT LAUGH!) As to what I was thinking, Any ideas what I should have in the corner as far as something related to it?

test.jpg

(AGAIN Dont laugh to hard, I have a trick or 2 up my sleeve that will make sense once I work the kinks out)

I was thinking of a speaker with my logo on it or something like that
navigation_r1_c1.jpg

Dunno maybe thinking out loud tonight just curious blush.gif

Replies

• seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    http://www.cosmigo.com/promotion/
    or any old copy of deluxe paint.

Remember that oldschool pixelart doesn't necessarily mean "crap looking" as people started getting damn good at it a very long time ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

no I know that pixel art is a form of art that is going the way of the do-do but its still a form of art none the less. Ok Im trying to downl.....er Buy a ligit version of it with funds I aquired through my many years of stock broker trading (yes thats right now one will question that *shifty eyes) to give it a test. Hopefully tommorrow I can roll with it and play with it some wink.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I use my install of Photoshop 6 for pixel art, using the pencil tool for details. ImageReady came with the install, and is useful for animations, and setting up palettes (master palettes).

I'm currently working on a project creating games for the DS. One DS screen is 256x192. For images that take up both screens, there is about a 92 line space between them.

Some of the character sprites for our games use multiple tiles. Animations can be per tile. Keep the color palette for character sprites under 16, including a masking color(#ff00ff).

Since starting this project earlier this year, I've found that an understanding of color theory is crucial to GOOD pixel art. This style will never go away, because it's fun.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jez is it really a decade at this point? I mean megaman zero was all pixel art and thats what, 2-3 years old?
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    most the big mainstream industry tools do have prehistoric interfaces that barely changed since version 1, though
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
    deluxe paint is the king if you want to make pixel art smile.gif.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so If I wanted to paint something as a old SNES title screen what size resolution was used to paint that?
  • Xenobond