Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ashley and Gnat modelsheets

Hey guys. I'm new on here. A friend of mine recommended me to jump on here since I'm very serious about my work and Deviantart just wasn't helping me at all.

Here are some model sheets for an animation I'm going to do for my 3D Animation III class at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh.
[image]Ashley_GnatModelsheet.jpg[/image]

The finished animation is just going to have Ashley standing up, and the little robot, Gnat, is going to walk into the scene and jump up into her arms, and she'll cuddle him. The requirements for this assignment are rather simple, but I'm having fun with this.

I'm looking forward to suggestions, critiques, etc for current progress or later on in the assignment.

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Would be great to see more poses...the girls doesn't seem to be standing proper though...usually you would find people standing with their chest up front and rear sticking behind...this one seems to be stiff like wood.

"Deviant Art's ok imo but sometimes a lot of people on there aren't that serious."
  • TheFrog4u
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheFrog4u polycounter lvl 10
    I know this is not supposed to be realistic but proportions of that girl seem a bit wired, though. She hast got the same props as the robot( big head, long torso, short legs ectr..) but what is working for him, makes her look wrong in my eyes.. I would push the pelvis up a bit. Arms should not be longer than the legs but shorter than torso. It could just be me..
    Also I would replace the head of the robot with something more.. friendly.. and maybe remove the glasses, but I´m not sure about that..
  • DrakeAndrews
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Would be great to see more poses...the girls doesn't seem to be standing proper though...usually you would find people standing with their chest up front and rear sticking behind...this one seems to be stiff like wood.

"Deviant Art's ok imo but sometimes a lot of people on there aren't that serious."

[/ QUOTE ] Thanks for the input. I usually make characters stiff for showing the rotation on model sheets. When I draw poses, that's when I draw a little looser. I've always seen stiff for rotations for putting into Max so I have an easier time modeling the character so I can rig them right. That's just been me though. I'll keep in mind to draw a little looser next time.

[ QUOTE ]
    I know this is not supposed to be realistic but proportions of that girl seem a bit wired, though. She hast got the same props as the robot( big head, long torso, short legs ectr..) but what is working for him, makes her look wrong in my eyes.. I would push the pelvis up a bit. Arms should not be longer than the legs but shorter than torso. It could just be me..
    Also I would replace the head of the robot with something more.. friendly.. and maybe remove the glasses, but I´m not sure about that..

[/ QUOTE ]When I was making the models for Gnat, the robot, I couldn't find ways to get a robot looking friendly. Our assignment was to have a "man and machine" animation. The teacher gave Ratchet and Clank as an example, and Clank looks quite friendly in my eyes. However, I didn't want to directly rip from Insomniac when making a robot.

I gave him little Shy Guy eyes to give him that curious, harmless look. (You can also see the Shy Guy look coming through with the snout heh.) But seeing as you and possibly others see them as sunglasses, I should perhaps change the eyes.

I thought the robot was looking a little evil. And I also thought the girl's legs were a bit short. I'm going to get rid of the evil eyes/sunglasses and eyepatch (lol) and get something new. Do any of you have suggestions?

My problem here was I think of robots as mechanical, and I don't really know how to have robots look in terms of personality, to make it still look mechanical. I've been looking at Clank images (as the assignment implies) for reference, and trying to come up for ways to change the eyes, and overall appearance.
  • TheFrog4u
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheFrog4u polycounter lvl 10
    I meant the glasses of the girl, sry for that confusion. Anyway, as I said: I´m not sure if removing them wouldn´t make her less interessting, so you may leave them.
    my main crit were the proportions, as explained above, but if you looking for an independed style.. ok..
    Would be interesting to read what more experienced people around here have to say about this issue.
  • DrakeAndrews
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I meant the glasses of the girl, sry for that confusion. Anyway, as I said: I´m not sure if removing them wouldn´t make her less interessting, so you may leave them.
    my main crit were the proportions, as explained above, but if you looking for an independed style.. ok..
    Would be interesting to read what more experienced people around here have to say about this issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh! Okay, I see. I was intending to have the girl taller than the robot in the final animation. Getting her knees longer really helped. I did go ahead and fix the proportions a bit. I'll upload them later, since I'm at a different computer at the moment and don't have my files with me.

I also went and kept the blank black eyes. I made them look happier. I'll upload that later as well. Thanks for the advice either way. Critique helps even if it's not from professionals. smile.gif