Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Arthas

Waz
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Waz polycounter lvl 17
Inspired by Blizzard’s Warcraft 3 and Gears of War I modeled Prince Arthas as I imagine he would appear if the new WoW expansion pack was going to use the UE3 engine. I used Softimage XSI to create the low poly mesh, Mudbox to create the high poly mesh, and Photoshop for the textures. Polycount is sitting at 7994.

Beauty Shot:
Arthas_Pass_Render.jpg

Wireframe:
Arthas_Wireframe_Render.jpg

Sample of the Textures:
Arthas_TextureSheet_Sample.jpg

Replies

• Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    looks nice but the head looks nothing like Arthas.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Arthas
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Very nice effect overall, I especially like the boots, they are looking great. However, something about the face bugs me. I think personally I would remove the scar on the nose, as it just makes the face a bit hard to read, especially from the angle of that beauty render. I also thing you could push your specular map a lot further. Right now everything seems about the same shinyness level, and the gold does not look as convincing as it could.

Overall though, great effort, and a nice looking model. I think with a little more work on the specular map you could push the whole model to increase the 'wow' factor.

Keep it up! laugh.gif

/edit Yeah, also it doesn't look at all like Arthas, as said, but thats just a style choice I guess.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work, but as stated he doesn't look like Arthas. Now if Arthas had a son I could believe that more smile.gif

I think whats throwing off the likeness is the black hair, since he's blond, and in case of the corrupt Arthas, white.
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Solid work, almost too much detail ^^.

IMO hes pose seems a lil stiff, and the shoulder pads almost cuts off hes head (which just seem to pop up in the middle).
    You could try shooting him from the side, ex. with the sword in one hand. As both sides seem pretty equal (besides the pads), it shouldnt be much of a loss.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    as others pointed out:

arthas-640x480.jpg
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like something that would fit 100% into the Gothic3 game wink.gif
  • Waz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the comments guys. I had tried doing the hair the like dark Arthas has, long and white, But I could never to get it too look right on the model. So after doing some paint overs I found just short black hair looked better on the model and stuck with that. So I do agree the head no longer looks like Blizzard's Arthas and I probably should have named him something else, but I believe his armor and sword look to similar to have called him anything else. Unless of course you were playing WoW and killed Arthas and took all his stuff.

Again thanks for the comments and on to a new character for this week, this time a playable character for UT3. Hopefully Softimage or Epic releases a new ActorX for XSI as well as some rigs to use.
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Don't remove the sword form him. Frostmourne must be attached to Arthas from now on!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Again thanks for the comments and on to a new character for this week, this time a playable character for UT3. Hopefully Softimage or Epic releases a new ActorX for XSI as well as some rigs to use.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong with the one they've already released? I've used it for UT2k4 just fine.

This character looks nasty. While the low poly modeling looks ok, the texture appears burnt and noisy. Aside from looking nothing like the inspiration, the facial detail is patchy and gross. Long white hair would look better, and I challenge you to make it work. The character's armor is burned, colorless, and visually unappealing. Just because you intended this to be for UT3, doesn't mean everything needs to be baked shades of brown and grey. Color helps the brain organize important features. Use blues or greens to contrast with the gold armor decorations. Avoid using black to darken. And pay attention to specularity, so that the entire model doesn't appear plastic.

The sword looks cool.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    hey does look like you, for sure. wink.gif