Home Technical Talk

Max 2008 normal maps in viewport.

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
I just upgraded to max 2008, as I have been using 7 for a long time, had some money and thought this would be a good way to spend it. The only thing now is that I can seem to display my normal maps in the viewport.

I don't have the checkbox 'DX standard display of material' like I had in max 7, and no matter what I do, I can't seem to get them working. I have tried updating drivers, changing max's display mode and still, no dice.

Anyone else had this problem or similar?

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    "I don't have the checkbox 'DX standard display of material' like I had in max 7"

might be this ?
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    use a directx9 shader material (this is the preferred way for older max versions, too) there are numerous .fx already shipping with max. Else use some of the popular picks here, like JIStyles skin shader or benclowards stuff.

the official way I think is to use the checkeredbox (show maps in viewport), that is pink (press on the blue and then use pink in popup).
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    "I don't have the checkbox 'DX standard display of material' like I had in max 7"

might be this ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, its not that the box is unchecked. Its the fact that there isnt even a box there anyway. I am not that stupid, their are certain tests one has to do before being selected for pilot training :P

Nah, I did phrase it badly, so I probably deserved to be spoken to like a child.

I will get onto one of those shaders asap, but they seem to be crashing max.

Should have stayed with 7...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    nah in max 2008 they moved it so that it's where crazybutcher said.
    you don't have to enable the DX display checkbox anymore, just click and hold your mouse over the "show maps in viewport" icon in the material editor (blue chequered square), and you'll see a pink chequered square pop up next to it, click on that one.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did as you said MoP, and all the things with the material applied to it turned red wireframe. I tried loading up all the shaders but everyone, include Bclowards ones crashed max.

/searches for max 7 disk
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    what kind of graphics card do you have?
    are you sure you got latest drivers + dx9.c installed ?
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a HD2600XT, a DX10 card, but I made sure I had latest catalyst drivers plus latest DX9c. Ah well, it will be alright.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    problem i have with DX9 shaders, is that they require DDS, or BMP, not PSD. when they render, they render out black, so i dont get any shadows, and the viewport shaders doesnt have shadows either.. sigh.