Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first post (wa na na) 3d character bust wip

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1st, welcome =)
    2nd, take the url tag out and just paste the address. Or if you have the image link use this <font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>myimage.jpg </pre><hr /> Technically the UBB code for a URL goes like this <font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> MyTextHere</pre><hr /> 3rd, looks pretty cool, pretty high poly but its pretty cool all the same =)
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Or just press image and put the link in between.

If you use photobucket...it will resize if well over 600x480 etc.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome to polycount Bass. smile.gif

A two things pop out right away.

1) You have a ludicrous amount of wasteful edge loops in there. If you're going to subdivide then this is simply overkill. The back of the head, the neck, the eyes, the throat; all of these areas are packed with edgeloops that don't have any purpose. If you aren't going to subdivide then I can hardly see a purpose to this. You have nice and smooth geo in some areas while others are choppy. And the whole thing is way way too highpoly to be a low poly model.

2) I personally find the mouth and nose to be somewhat lame in execution. Some mroe attention to the form would help clarify things and get rid of the sort of "cleft lip/assface/sad clown look the area has currently.
  • BassAckwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha...yeah i completely agree with everything said...this is actually the higher poly version, i have a much lower poly version if all would like to check it out. this was a thursday night boredom thing... thanks for the reply and being honestly heplful all other forum sites have just blown me off when i ask for critiques. I was told by a peer of mine who is a member of this forum that this place was the real deal, with industry pros and very talented people. I was amazed when i got a reply back within 15 min.
  • BassAckwards
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    ahh ha there he is...welcome to polycount my friend. Looks like your coming along good, you just need to take out some of that geometry and make sure that your using each poly to the fullest
  • BassAckwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i know...dfacto made a bunch of good points...this is the high poly version...and if the hig poly has all those pointless edgeloops then the low poly has some pointless edge loops...oh yeah the portfolio site is looking good man... i would like to see a serparation from 2d and 3d though...hows the job search going anyway?
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Well, your highpoly isn't pointlessly highpoly, after all a subdivided mesh would have similar polycounts. The problem is that you are apparently trying to do manually what subdivision will do for you automatically, and that really doesn't make all that much sense, considering that doing it manually is just asking for headaches.

Use a lower poly mesh and use sub-d to achieve a nice smooth highpoly. Sub-d can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but it's very useful.
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    thanks Travis, yeah I need to rework the site, but for not that is what she is gonna be. Ive been contact with so many people, ILM, LucasArts, Bethesda, Big huge, EA, and Bungie...go figure. I have a lot of traveling to do, but I think it will be fun in the process nevertheless! Im glad you joined polycount, these guys are a good collection of artists.
  • BassAckwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ive already established that i just glance through the forums and it is a bunch of talented artists in the industry... I just hope my work gets up to par soon, seeing some peoples portfolio sites blow me away... ive got alot of work to do to catch up
  • BassAckwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...hey when you become the next Carlos Huante... your gonna have to get me an autograph; but thats good to hear someone from the school besides chuck is getting somewhere. you and your boy chris have definatly got futures in the industry