Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Night VIsion Model

Hey all, I just finished my latest model ( first one after finishing game school ) I'm new to this forum, but I think that you guys post your work here for review right?
So let me know what you think!
2640 tris

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
AN_PVS-7B.jpg

Replies

• Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Looks good. A couple things (from a guy who used these in the field)

The rubber cups in the back are generally flimsy and cracked rubber. Your concept picture has them all nice and shiny, and hard to tell what surface they are. They are also not sharp or hard edged as in your model...they are soft and rounded. I would also work on your spec a bit more on the rubber pieces. Right now they just aren't reading right.

I would decide which way you want to go with its "newness" - is it rugged and scratched and been through the dirt? Or is it fresh out of the box? Some of your painted in scratches on the bottom don't really fit. If you are going for scratched and used, feel free to go out. These things are banged and messed up, so feel free to explore that some more.

I would tone down the red lense a little...I don't remember them being so brightly saturated...again...spec map.

Your high poly and overall feel is really good...your color choice is a little weird, but hey..go with it if that's what you want. Right now the cammo is a little unspecific as far as what region it would be this color for. Most of the MVGs I used were drab green / black /grayish from years of abuse and misuse.

Overall looks really great.
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    That looks nice dude. Like Ott said, the eye rests look a bit like cut plastic and not rubber. I used some other type of night vision scope (not goggles tho) in the army, and you actually had to press the rubber thing with your eye socket till it popped on the "negative" side (towards the barrel, not your head) to turn the scope on. So it was really soft, you know? Other than that it's great.
  • Jay Evans
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    ahh the pvs-7... I've built a few of those. Yours kick ass on the ones I made. Good stuff. Your normal maps seem super crisp and without any shading errors. Very pro. Not a fan of that camo though. Don't think they come painted in real life. Most weapon\accessory paint jobs I've seen are just made by guys in the field, and they would probably look a lot more sloppy.

Just incase you are curious and want some comparison the last ingame ones I made were less than 800polys.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Like ott I have used these bad boys too. Mine were gray in color and pretty banged up for the most part.

Rubber pieces look like they have a shading issue towards the eye contact areas. Probably smoothing groups.

Camo pattern is really off. Like Jay said this type of stuff is usually done in the field and is rather messy and not as crazy as what you have.
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    do the real ones have an audio ports on them like these ones do?
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    haha i didn't even notice those..yeah mine never had audio and video ports...maybe these are the new I-NVGs by apple...
  • smedjeback
    Offline / Send Message
    smedjeback polycounter lvl 13
    Cool stuff! How is life after PSQ and Falun? Got your internship?/Per (from PSQ) www.persmedjeback.se
  • hula
    hey guys,

great feedback. mmm... yeah i took some artistic license with the camo and the aud/vid port. It seems like i need to try not to mod. realistic things. save it for fantasy. Regardless. Thanks for the tips on the rubber and the spec. Actually, about materials. Can someone tell me if there is a guide out there for shades of grey that correspond to different texture surfaes? ie. steel 50% grey ? also i could really use a tutorial on setting things like eccentricity.

hey? who asked about psq and falun? Yup they are water under the bridge. Amazing experience though. Now i am living in Stockholm waiting for a company here to pick me up as an intern. All is good except that it gets dark out when i wake up.

- cccp