Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    needs some edge treatment-
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Wesley..Welcome to polycount

A good way to help people critique your model is to show it on a neutral grey background. I would also show the wireframe, uv layout and texture sheet(s). Also give people an Idea of what you are building it for..are you putting it into an particular game engine ...etc...

Right now your texture looks like concrete. the photosourced designs look really out of place in the material. I would go back and really think about how a design like that could fit in concrete..Or metal...Also grab some reference. Same thing with the mesh. It looks like a bunch of primitives slapped together. And there is nothing wrong with that...it is a good way to block out your mesh...But you want to refine it...again grab some reference......here's a few

hammer_war.jpg

hammer.jpg

I think DocROb did this concept:
    0607_CAt_18.jpg
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    I was expecting this:
    hammerfall2005.jpg

Seems that you werent really clear on the concept on where you were going with this. Suggest you draw some hammers, see how they will work out, make a few with a lower polycount, and more consistent edgeflow/polygon distribution. Now you have one big menacing block with VERY sharp edges, and they pop really much against the high-resolute handle of the hammer. Same goes for the "tip" - it is overly pointy for a worn-down hammer.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    What is the resolution on those textures? For the lack of geometrical details your texture resolution looks insanely high. Not to much if this were an in-view model they'd still be too high. I am not quite sure what you'd use it for...

This model is really nothing more than primitive shapes. Start practicing your skillset within the 3D app you've used now and go beyond placing and unwrapping primitives. Learn how to cut, extrude, bevel, chamfer, manipulate ring & edge loops, and so on before you worry about doing a fancy beauty shot.

If you want a 'high res' looking model spend the resources in the geometry. Those edges need detail, there's no damage, there's no wear. This is made of stone* yet its perfectly flat everywhere you look.

*If it's steel, then you need to work on your specularity and reflections.

The blood is inconsistent and doesn't really show how this would be used most of the time (sharp end hitting first). If this is a real killing machine, as it looks like you'd like it to be, then that tip and its cylindar would be drenched, damaged, chipped, rugged, you name it.. Right now it just looks like an even amount of blood was splattered over the entire thing.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    also remember where the hammer would hit, you've got intricate designs there and those would most likely just be getting pummeled out of existance so they'd be elsewhere and not on the pounding surfaces.
  • wesley olson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for all the crits, this is the first weapon i have ever made so i knew you guys could help me out. I will keep all that you said in mind for my next project.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a virgin hammer made out of cement, that has only recently killed a bright red paint can.

Suggestions:
    If its metal, work on the specularity. If its stone, work on the bump.
    Either metal or stone, bevel the edges and smooth it out. We aren't stuck in 1995 and the extra polys won't kill someones system, but they sure will help your model.
    If thats blood check out some blood stains and what they do to the material the blood is on. Research what happens to blood as time goes on.
    If the hammer has killed before, you need to lovingly age it.
    If the grip is to fit a normal human hand, then the hammer part is too small.
    Something screwy is going on with the smoothing group/shading on the pointy part.
    You used obviously copied Celtic patterns from different sources, its pretty obvious. I'm not saying this is a bad thing... but if you go that route you need to make them blend into the material a heck of a lot better.