Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

shilka

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
hi, created a zsu-23/4 shilka. i think the texture is a bit on the busy side though. but i want other peoples opinion before changing.
shilkadirt2.jpg

polycount is 7400, textures are 1024 diffuse, 1024 specular, and 1024 normal.

Replies

• Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Not bad, bro. Needs more contrast. Everything is the same color/saturation. Throw some variation in there, different colors, some darks and lights. Not too busy, just same color all over
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    To be specific...all I see is green (80 percent of it), only some dumpster bins have that color.

Anyways, its good but I'd start with the hard surface details and wear.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i tried to model the colours after this one:
    zsu234.jpg
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Its good you're using that for refs but if you have variations to work with its not a bad idea to incorporate it from that and make it better.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, it is the standard soviet green used on all soviet vehicles. soviet vehicles have never been known for their glamorous colouration, so i try to give it a bit of variation through the weathering.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    looks good so far... for texture advice, maybe add some yellowing to the upper parts and sky-facing surfaces? A specular map would also do wonders for this model
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    looks good so far... for texture advice, maybe add some yellowing to the upper parts and sky-facing surfaces? A specular map would also do wonders for this model

[/ QUOTE ]

i have a specular map, but i can never get them to show off properly, and its driving me nuts.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adjusted the spec map, so that its got sharper highlights and more gloss:

specadjust.jpg
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
    Nice one.. can you post the wires?
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    indeed the russian green is about the most boring armor out there smile.gif

however if you wanna edge it a bit, take a look at this tutorial from armorama.com
    http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=m...&artid=1703

its for scale models and involves real paint yes but its pretty damn good for reference i think.

keep up the nice work
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    The wheel rims, hubs and some parts of the turret have a brownish hue. That could give you a little more colour variation if you exaggerate it a little.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    indeed the russian green is about the most boring armor out there smile.gif

however if you wanna edge it a bit, take a look at this tutorial from armorama.com
    http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=m...&artid=1703

its for scale models and involves real paint yes but its pretty damn good for reference i think.

keep up the nice work

[/ QUOTE ]

sigh, i wish i could apply washes to a 3d model like that.
    heheh, i created the shilka model, and based it mostly on a 1/35 plastic scale model, with pictures from the web to fix some glaring errors.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    well.. why shouldnt you be able to do it? just work in some colors in your texture

a wash is like a layer set to overlay smile.gif
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    washes on the other hand, conforms to the surface of the vehicle, it accumulates in depressions and corners automatically.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    texture looks boring, even metal like that has subtle hints of color or wear that makes it non boring.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    texture looks boring, even metal like that has subtle hints of color or wear that makes it non boring.

[/ QUOTE ]

the metal is not visible. usually the vehicle is set with a primer, and then painted in camouflage colours.
    i added a lot of not-so subtle hints of colour to make it look less boring, but when rendered, it turned very bland.
    here's a screenshot of the diffuse in the viewport:

shilkdirty.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Looks like you have a blurry, greyscale spec, and bad lighting. This diffuse only shot is actually a lot better looking than your render.

Got flats of your texture sheets?
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flats coming up.
    shilkadiffuse.jpg
    shilkanormal.jpg
    shilkaspec.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    The diffuse and specular are way too blurry and splotchy.

You have a nice model and a really sharp normal map, but the diffuse and specular aren't helping it.

Try running your normalmap through Crazybump, using the "Render Displacement Map" button on the left, then sliding up the "Enhance Detail" slider. This will give you a "cavity and raised edges" map which you can overlay onto your diffuse (overlay or soft light at 10-20% opacity is good), and also overlay onto your specular (a higher opacity, to make the highlights pop).

Looking at your diffuse sheets, the best area IMHO is the front right panel, with the baked-in shadow of the spade. The metal and scratches behind that look pretty sharp and realistic.
    If you compare that part to some of the other parts, they just look blurry and undefined, as if you rendered Clouds or Noise filters and then blurred them.

The main problem with your textures is that they're not very consistent. You've got some areas of really nice detail (as I mention above), but then other areas just look like they've had no work at all.

If you can bring the whole thing up to a consistent quality, it'll look great.

Keep it up! smile.gif