Home Technical Talk

Where do I pick things up again?

Greetings fellow polycounter's, it's been awhile.

I've been totally absent from the model/texture scene for a few years now during my time attending school. I left "the field" so to speak, but never realized how much I missed it until recently. I loved making things for games, that's all there is to it. I'm really happy to see that almost all of the regulars from then have landed respectable industry positions. Congratulations fellahs!

I have a problem now though. Quake 3 was brand spanking new when I stopped. Shaders were this new mysterious thing. Models could actually aim.

I've been browsing all day after re registering, and I gotta say, things have advanced tremendously. Honestly, it's a bit overwhelming. Normal maps, spec maps, higher poly counts, quads, n-poly's, etc. I'm pretty floored by some of the stuff being pumped out in everyone's spare time these days. I gather there isn't much of a market for the old school 2d guys anymore.

Here's where I'm looking for: any and all advice.

I still love skinning/texturing, but it doesn't seem to be a position anymore. I want to advance into making models, and learning the ropes, the light at the end of the tunnel hopefully being some sort of industry job. What do I need to know? Perhaps this thread could end up as "so you wanna get a job" or something.

I'm looking for directions to be pointed towards, any. I have a lot of catch up to do, but I'm willing to bust hump to get there. So far I've been messing around in maya 2008 and zbrush. It's all pretty ugly, but it's a process, right? I bought Learning Autodesk Maya 2008 (Official Autodesk book) to help with some fundamental understandings. So far so good I suppose.

Replies

• hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Hey man, I'm definitely not an industry professional or anything, but www.3dtotal.com has a ton of great tutorials for modeling in general, and of course just looking around here can help. I'm sure some other people will have better advice than I can give, but just start making stuff is really all there is to it!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy shit, fear. send me a PM with your current IM names if you've got any.
  • FearMe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the link Hobo, looks like a good starter. I'm pooped, bed for me.

EQ- Pm sent buddy smile.gif
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    welcome back FearMe! I also order a bunch of IM names wink.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i gotta second what per's saying, maya is a horrible app for modeling. I'de pick up modo, silo, or even max.
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    Are the opinions against Maya based on experiences with Versions from years past ?
    Or is it some leftover prejudice from back when Autodesk hadn't aquired Alias yet and they were *gasp* "the Enemy" ? wink.gif

What is so horrible about modeling in Maya ?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Rebb, it's not that modeling in Maya is bad per se, it's that you need soooo many add ons and scripts for it to function WELL. Out of the box, Maya is shit for modeling. Max is a lot better but still needs say, CSPolytools, Meshtools 3 and Chuggnut's UV tools to be really nice. Modo 301 is probably the best out-of-the-box package I've messed with. Silo is okay as well, though not my personal fav.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    totally off subject, (welcome back and all that stuff btw) but you really don't need chuggnuts UV tools. About the only tools it has that autodesk hasn't rolled into max are the UV offset (which I think is broken in chuggnuts if you try to use it in max 7 and up, without getting the butchered version from Eric) and the vert align. Both of which can be replaced with very simple scripts that can be bound to keys. Really no need for a 7 year old script especially when it comes with a hugely redundant, clunky, broken UI.
  • FearMe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've already noticed some weird artifact effects when exporting from maya to a .obj for zbrush sculpting. Tri's that wont modify, missing poly's, etc when the mesh looks perfect in maya. No extra verts, edges, blah blah. It doesn't like my edge looping for some reason.

So it seems guy's are preferring mudbox over zbrush. Why?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mudbox is a stripped down, no frills version and very user friendly. In a few min you'll be sculpting your brains out. But once you get used to ZBrush especially V3 you'll love it. The learning curve is kind of high at first but once you get your hands dirty and read a few tutorials you'll be up and running.

It scares most people off because it just works different then other apps. They name things weirdly and they put things in odd places as well as clutter up the interface with all manor of useless tools (only useless at first). V3 went a long way in making it more user friendly and it really is an amazing app.

I switched from mudbox to Zbrush and haven't looked back. For a while I would build forms in Mudbox and detail in Zbursh but after I got used to it I just stuck to Zbrush. I'd keep my eye on Skymatter now that they are owned by Autodesk, it could bring about some amazing innovation and really give Zbrush a run for its money or they could stagnate and prove utterly useless. I do thank Mudbox for being a thorn in Pixelogic's side and prodding them into creating some great advancements.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I really don't like the feel of sculpting in ZB, even though I learned it first, I stick to mudbox when I can. (slow computer, though, and ZB lets me push a lot more polies)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hey dude! if you're going the maya route (i was forced into it at work) i heartily reccommend NEX (by draster), i don't go a day without finding it being a core part of my modelling in maya
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah nex looks fucking awesome!

http://draster.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,software-flypage/product_id,35/category_id,7/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    nex is pretty cool; if i remember right it relied on all sorts of convoluted combinations of buttons like LMB+Right CTR+SPACE+use scrollwheel and tap the alt key six times at a constant rate of once per half second. Took a couple days to get used to the finger gymnastics.

But otherwise, its damn impressive.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    NEX is baddass. Their messing with the controls alot in the betas, but for v1 the controls are (sense theirs no readme afaik):

Selection:
    full loop/ring = select edge/vert/poly and ctrl+shift double click on non-adjacent one.
    partial loop/ring = select edge/vert and ctrl+shift double click on adjacent one.
    Other = Edge loops can be selected by simply double clicking on one
    Paint = Hold tab while using LMB. Start on non-selected to select, or on selected to deselect.
    Chamfer = Select edges/verts, ctrl+shift+MMB
    Delete loop ctrl+del
    QuadDraw = LMB to place points, hold shift and drag LMB over surface to draw polys
    Soft selection:
    Enable = B
    Falloff = B+LMB drag
    Extrude = ctrl+shift+MMB
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Maya is perfectly good for modelling. Anyone who tells you different is a liar. And a paedophile. Grab yourself Daz's Targetweld script and DupExtract of Highend3d.com. There are a few other nice things for speeding up workflow a smidgen, but those are the only two that I couldn't live without.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Rebb there's nothing really wrong about Maya, it's just that it has a different philosophy than Max when it comes to modelling.

The strength of Maya is that everything is unified. You can basically access the whole app from within the hotbox, which is great for fullscreen users. However the downside is, when you model you have to look for each and every operation in this hotbox - at the expense of a rather heavy, multiple submenus navigation. After a while you end up creating shortcuts or shelfs buttons for the things you need the most but I dont think that is something that people new to a program are eager to do (especially since some of these shortcuts need code editing aso). Also, every operation is stacked up in a editable history list, which is great in some case but can also create errors because of a very complex node network buildup.

On the other hand in Max you simply convert your mesh to edit poly, and you will get all the modelling tools you need in one panel. No history in there, you simply edit the mesh without keeping track of multiple operations (which is the way specialized modelers like Wings and Silo do). You can still add a history of operations on top of that (modifiers) but thats not something you need for core polygon operations like bevelling, connecting edges aso. Max's edit poly mode has been thought to give you all you need under your hand, which is why it is much better for beginners to mess around with and experiment. That's basically what Nex is doing, its just that it uses advances keyboard combos instead of a panel of sliders and buttons.

I find Maya very good but sometimes too complex for simple things. For instance to connect verts in Maya you need to use the split polygon tool, slide your pointer along the edge of the verts you want to start the new edge from, and then slide the same way for the second vert. In Max you just select the two verts and hit connect. Same result, different appraoch. Yet split polygon can be use to cut through many other edges accross the the model, while Max relies on another tool for this, called Cut. I think it's a good example of a unified VS specialized workflow. To each his own.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    comparing maya's history to modifiers though, is making history look useful wink.gif it's horrible in comparison! Maybe I just don't know how to use it properly but most of the time maya's history is junk compared to the flexibility of the modifier stack
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Actually I take back all I said about Maya, this is indeed a piece of junk. Today I fire Maya2008 x64 up and ... it turns out that everytime I try to make a triple beveled edge at a very small value (for a sharp edge once smoothed), it simply crashes, no matter how simple the mesh. I can reproduce this at will, but only on my machine so far. Also the split polygon tool is completely broken and does not split where you ask it to.

Hence to bring back this thread on topic, FearMe I would strongly advise you against Maya if you want to go back to modelling, especially for complex hard surface work - it simply is not suited for that kind of things. I would recommend a more solid, thought out app with stong, dedicated tools developped over the years. (I am speaking only about modelling here).
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    Try a weld and delete history. I've had issues with bevel myself, though not just on 2008x64 (my current version) I do almost exclusively hardmodeling, so I like bevel a lot. I've been using Maya forever and I think bevel got screwed just before Autodesk bought it, thoguh it's never been perfect. I love maya, but it's pretty frustrating when a presumably mature application crashes if it can't complete a common use tool. Maya used to be more stable and so far Autodesk sure as hell hasn't helped.