Home Technical Talk

Concept Art and Photoshop Brushes

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JesterBox polycounter lvl 18
I was just wondering about the best way to go about a concept art in Photoshop and also, were one might find custom brushes suitable for it. While I'm posting I might as well ask how to setup the brushes since I don't know how.

As always your time and advice are greatly appreciated.

--JesterBox--

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Best way: start painting.

Really there is no answer to this question, its like asking what is the best color to use when making a concept.
  • Panupat
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    i've found that deviant art website has some pretty high quailty brushes there. you can also find some good photoshop paint tutorials there as well. But i just find myself using pretty basic brushes for most stuff. depending on how much of photoshop you know is how far into concept art you can get. I'm not the bomb or anything but after learning only a few techniques you can pull off some cool stuff.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like EQ said, get moving and don't stop. If a blank canvas scares you start drawing objects. If you're new to drawing read some tutorials and start painting. If you're new to digital painting, read some tutorials and start painting.

http://www.gfxartist.com/features/tutorials
    http://itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm <- seriously read it over, if it doesn't make sense, read it again in a few months after you've been painting your brains out, it will make sense.

As for brushes most of what you find are stamps and not really designed for painting. Photoshop comes with a nice set of brushes I suggest sticking to the hard edge brushes and work on confident strokes not blurry sketchy crap. You can always make your own brushes to suit your own needs.

"but vig I don't know what makes a good brush? Isn't there a brush that just makes awesome?"

Then you're not really ready for custom brushes, get painting. The best brushes I have, where made out of necessity.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Well you can always draw on a pad with traditional art tools and then scan it in, or if you have an nice wacom just do it all in photoshop. If you suck at drawing you can use vectors to make the shapes you want. If you want to be great like say Hawkprey just do what was said by EQ and Vig and just do it a lot, get reference and practice. There are actually a few video tutorials online, just search on ask.com or google for drawing and stuff comes up.

So my advice would be get a wacom if you don't have one already, as big as you can afford, get reference, and practice.

Alex
  • DomDeRose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the Itchstudios reference swooshy is fun! also this is my first real post. Wanted to spend it showing appreciation.

-Dom