Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Amazon Fighting Princess (final portfolio piece)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
katzeimsack polycounter lvl 18
finished my last portfolio piece. Now its time to write some applications smile.gif

Couldn't use the coool brdf shader (make cool art button), but I wanted shadows for the final render.

final_01.jpg

[update 10.12.07]
scroll down smile.gif

[upadte 7.12.07]
screen.jpg

Dont' have any time the next 1 1/2 weeks, therefore I thought it would be great to gather some comments till then smile.gif

old http://55622.webhosting22.1blu.de/katzeimsack/images/wip/01_cm.jpg

Replies

• Brice Vandemoortele
    Offline / Send Message
    Brice Vandemoortele polycounter lvl 19
    Did you use another shader to have alpha blend on the hair?
    Nice warm tones overall smile.gif any chance to see the brdf?
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    she wears socks !!

like the skin and overall style

the hand-to-head size things is bit off imo
    and mostly the knees fingers feets need more work

keep it up.. its realy nice !
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    @brice:
    Yes, I used another shader and I rendered two passes to get
    the second light..
    Your shader is awesome, but it needs a reflectivety map, a second light, a shadowmap and alphablending wink.gif

brdf_skin.jpg

@ till:
    Danke laugh.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    The belly/hip area looks a bit strange (short?)
    The bellybutton should be at the same hight as the thinest part of the body AFAIK and I guess I would move the hip downwards to achieve that (but I am not quite sure about that).
    Shoulders also seen a bit too much sloped downwards.

Overall a really nice model though...especially the face and hair is cool!
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the detailed critics smile.gif

I don't like the tatoos that much, anybodys got some time to make a overpainting ? wink.gif
  • EarthQuake
    her forearms are really long, something about the face has always bugged me, i dont know if its the lips eyes or mouth, i cant quite put my figure on it but she just looks sort of off to me =/ That hair is pretty fucking cool tho man, good work!
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    her lips have the old bulliparade-lippen-problem smile.gif

klick (right-side)
  • super_villain
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    Looks like a good start to me. Skin needs some work, add finger/toe nails, seems to be a noticable seam issue from her left shoulder to her armpit. Her thumbs seem weird, but maybe it's just the angle. Looking forward to updates.
  • Renaud Galand
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    The model looks pretty cool to me. The think which is shocking me a bit is how FLAT all the accessories on her are. I know that there are some constraints for next-gen character but you should double check them and see how you could make them pop more. Beveling the edges (highpoly) and stuff like that.

The hairs looks fucking awesome, btw wink.gif
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    please dude I give you 20 internets if you can explain your method for doing hair. This is exactly what I was talking about the other day!
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome...dunno if anyone noticed but it seems like she has webbed feet or maybe cause the toes are real close knit to each other.

Other than that...good results you got there.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Hot damn! This character is great! The skin shading and hair are whats really bringing it all together. And as Seforin said, would love it if you could explain a bit about how you achieved quality long/flowing hair. Also, you said that you rendered her in two passes, was that because you weren't able to get the hair and skin shader to render in a single pass or some other reason?
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    but it needs a reflectivety map, a second light, a shadowmap and alphablending wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    hey sure it's far from perfect smile.gif I might do another version with two lamps. I won't split up reflectivity from specular tough, seems like a non-sense to me. Shadow maps is doable too, but will make the shader again more and more complex.
    But I'd like to hear if there's a way to do alpha blend, I have no idea how to do it in maya.
    keep up the nice work, it's always nice to see ppl using your stuff, since you're one of the very few I've seen using the shader so far smile.gif
  • EarthQuake
    You dont need to seperate spec from reflection, thats just silly really. All you really need is a spec sharpness map, so you use a blurier version of the enviro for things like skin. But you have that too already dont you?
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Like others have mentioned, I'd like to know how you did that hair. It looks gorgeous the way it is. My current guess would be that it's just a very well painted texture with an awesome alpha map. But if there's another method to it, do tell!

The character design is quite solid too, I like the color, and it has a strong silhouette, although the knees, ankles and wrists are very weak in structure. Especially the wrists. The hands also appear to be too small.
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    All you really need is a spec sharpness map, so you use a blurier version of the enviro for things like skin. But you have that too already dont you?

[/ QUOTE ]
    absolutely, that's what specPower do smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    And also, how you does hair plz?
  • Mark Dygert
    Looks amazing, really love the skin tone and the rest of the textures are ace! It would be great to see some construction shots along with texture sheets please =)

The hair looks great, but I wonder if its created just for this one shot and would be a nightmare to animate? It looks great like the wind is blowing it but if that it isn't going to flow like the image suggests then its almost useless to put that kind of detail into it.
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for all the comments.
    Added a small update. I will answer all questions the following days.
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    I like this very much but the feet are'nt really identifiable, like the toes seem a bit ambigous/un-defined. Other than that fantastic stuff!
  • super_villain
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    She looks good in the scene, though the weapon could use some more attention. Like the ground too.
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    weapon.jpg finished the highpoly version of the weapon smile.gif

@Renaud: my brdf-map had an error (wrong gradient), therefore everything was very "flat"

@seforin: the hair are just planes, textures and some bones for animations, nothing special.

@pliang : the feet were modeled lazyly, but I'll fix them with the colormap smile.gif

@PolyHertz : the hair has nothing to do with the passes wink.gif I just had to render a shadowpass, because the shader doesn't support shadows and a refelktionpass, because i'm dumb wink.gif

@Makkon : I will fix the knees, hands an feet. I wanted to start texturingand therfore rushed the sculting part.

@Vig : the hair looks like that from every perpective, just planes..
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    and again i just love her face, but those hands and feet are looking like you've been way to lazy to even consider working on em ;P

nice Weapon too!
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That's pretty cool, I love the colours and the designs. The hair is awesome!
    Your environment and background are very nice too.

My main crits: The pose and camera angle are making her right arm (on our left when looking at the image) seem tiny and not attached at all, I'd maybe try to find a more natural looking pose or camera angle for that.

Her clothes (the underwear) has no thickness at all, it looks like it's just painted around her hips. I think the normal map could be better there, and the diffuse texture too, it needs a soft shadow on her flesh to make the cloth stand out more, and also I'd tone down and blur the really sharp dark lines that are going around the underwear, it's making them seem quite flat.

In fact the same crit applies to the belts and straps holding her armour on, they need a LOT more depth, again they look painted on, your normal map isn't doing enough work there (or maybe it's the light setup, can we see a pure grey diffuse, normalmapped render?), and again the sharp black lines are flattening those areas out when they need a lot more depth.

If you can fix up those minor crits I think this will be a much stronger piece.
    Great work though smile.gif

-MoP
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    That looks great! Very nice

- BoBo
  • Renaud Galand
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    nice pose on the final render man, cool work !
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Damn nice dude! Cool to see this finalized. laugh.gif

Main crit I have is that her feet are too clean. If she's been running around barefooted on dirt it would be cool to see some dust on her legs, and maybe some whitish dust on her knee to indicate that she may have kneeled down to look at something, or track an animal, or whatever you want. Just something on her skin to tie her to the environment better. She looks unnaturally clean here.
  • soulstice
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    love the the model, especially the texturing. awesome work!
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Now add more tattoos...seriously the pose makes it really believable.
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    thx to all smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

My main crits: The pose and camera angle are making her right arm (on our left when looking at the image) seem tiny and not attached at all, I'd maybe try to find a more natural looking pose or camera angle for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like the pose, but I woke up this mornig and hated the camera angle laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Her clothes (the underwear) has no thickness at all, it looks like it's just painted around her hips. I think the normal map could be better there, and the diffuse texture too, it needs a soft shadow on her flesh to make the cloth stand out more, and also I'd tone down and blur the really sharp dark lines that are going around the underwear, it's making them seem quite flat.

In fact the same crit applies to the belts and straps holding her armour on, they need a LOT more depth, again they look painted on, your normal map isn't doing enough work there (or maybe it's the light setup, can we see a pure grey diffuse, normalmapped render?), and again the sharp black lines are flattening those areas out when they need a lot more depth.

If you can fix up those minor crits I think this will be a much stronger piece.
    Great work though smile.gif

-MoP

[/ QUOTE ]

tried some things to fix it smile.gif
    vor.jpg
  • xysdf
    Offline / Send Message
    xysdf polycounter lvl 17
    turned out great overall - awesome work!
  • indian_boy
    definite improvement in this above update

that aside, its real awesome... love the pose, love the shader, love the environment... the colours are amazing as is the costume design...
    reminds me of heavenly sword
  • warby
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    looks great all around ! ... if i had to nitpick something id say put her right-big-toes-nail a bit further forward there too much meat under it smile.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    fucking awesome man, love your style , really unique and clean !

only crit : the tatoo paint has a drop shadow too itense , maybe also change its color instead of black ?

hope to see more stuff from you...seriously (thumbs up )
  • rasmus
    Wow, looks great! A few details still to come maybe, but the overall designs and colors are great! Keep it up!
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    final image:
    amazone_render.jpg

construction:
    amazone_construction.jpg
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    i do like original style, but proportions of the body, ehhh...
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Awesome character
    The amount of detail and the innovative design is impressive!
    I would love to see her in action fighting with this cool weapon and the hair and clothes flying around. smile.gif
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    lots of nice details, but you body proportions are off as other people highlight. I think its because in your beauty render the arms look too short / head looks too big