Home General Discussion

I said NO to a super awesome studio.. (new here!)

Hello everyone!
I'm new here, but i'm a long time reader (thanks to everybody for the great forum and for the useful tips!), and i thought it's time to get on the arena :P

Now i'm studying at the academy of fine arts in brera, in milan. few days ago i received a job offer from a really cool studio in amsterdam (and that's actually the first job offer in my life..) but i said them no because i must finish my studies...
and now i'm so sad laugh.gif

anyway, for more info, this is my portfolio (mostly 2d stuff) (but i have a nice DomWarII entry on cgtalk side :P)
http://clawsart.wordpress.com/

bye!

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I think you made the right choice to stay with studies. The qualifications will probably help in the long run.
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    IMO its a shame that you turned it down but as long you keep making cool stuff like you already have...you're in good hands.
  • Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    beautiful stuff in your portfolio :-) keep sharing
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    finish your studies man, if you want to go work in the US or canada one day, this is the best and fastest way,iirc, a 4 or 5 years degree is equal to 12 years of work experience for the administrations, which is the minimum required to get the work visa in the US.

and don't worry if they liked your work this year, they will probably like what you'll do after your studies will be done.

I don't know for the US, but in europe, school is VERY important especially if you want to get out of it
  • Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    i agree about the degree. never would've landed a job outside my country without it. even my previous boss from the US had trouble flying into singapore with plenty of work experience under his belt, because all he held was a digipen certificate.

you are lucky to be at a fine arts school too, i remember doing the bare minimum in school because all the time i was distracted with creating concept art!
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    finish your studies and apply back there when you're done?? o.O
  • skankerzero
    I guess if you want to get a job outside of the country, then it's good to continue on with your studies. As for me, I would have taken the job. I've seen a couple people pass aside an opportunity only to have it come back and bite them in the ass at the end. At least they have shown interest in you, so do as Snemmy says and make sure they know that you'll come to them first when you finish school.
  • Asmuel
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Damn it guys, your starting to make me think I should have gone back to school frown.gif. All I've got is a diploma in blah blah.
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    You could always teach for the experience.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    You could always teach for the experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Who are you saying that to?
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I turned down a really hot date once
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice stuff on your site. Your work shows a lot of personality and style. Don't worry about the job (unless you need the money) there will be opportunities for you once you graduate.
  • Mark Dygert
    Hopefully you said no in a way that possibly kept the door open, they might pick you up when you get out of school =)
  • _Shimmer
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    as it was probably guerrilla games you are better of with your studies anyway.
  • cyborgguineapig
    Offline / Send Message
    cyborgguineapig polycounter lvl 14
    Meh, I'll agree to disagree for a sec. how old are you? How far along are you in your studies? Do you have any large commitments at the moments beside school?(Married, kids, etc?)If not I would have taken the job... Get the experience and money and start saving as soon as possible. If your still young there's always time to go to school later if you really want. Family is not a huge factor when going to school at a later time, having no job and a family while going to school or still looking for a job after school IS a big factor. I know people will disagree with what I have to say but financial and career wise it would have probably been wiser to go for the job offer.

Plus if you feel sad about not taking the offer, you’re only hurting yourself inside. Do what you feel is right, not what you think is right or what others think is right for you..