Home Technical Talk

lighting setups?

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
ok so i'm trying to get some good lighting for my renders, and i'm constantly disappointed! i can never seem to get that... "pop" from my renders.

i understand the quality difference between my work and some other people on here, but i also realise that my lack of knowledge in how to render a scene doesn't help me either.

here is one of my latest attempts at rendering:
seffeeroffoo3.png

of course it's still work in progress, but it has a diffuse, normal, and spec. and even with the basics of those maps i feel it should look better.

i'm comparing it with this:
street_fighter_finished_02.jpg

i want to know how to get that specularity, how to make certain parts actually jump out, sharper highlights etc. i know it can't just be down to making certain parts of the spec map lighter, because if that were the case, i'd have the result already...

so it must be down to lighting: does anyone have a screengrab of any lighting setups they use, whether it's in their modeling software, or an in-engine renderer like UE3? (i am using 3dsmax and UE3 by the way).

guess i'm just frustrated by googling "3 point lighting", coming up with the same stuff, copying it almost word for word, and getting shitty results.

thanks for your time.

Replies