Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fiend/Demon from Quake

Plague
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Plague polycounter lvl 18
hought I'd pimp my latest model/texture. I remade the fiend/demon from quake 1, mainly as a mudbox exercise, pretty happy how it turned out. The skin detail was a photoshop/nvtool normal based off the texture overlayed. No moneyshot yet just max lit.

I'll attempt to animate it and export to md3 at some stage so I can stick it in the darkplaces quake engine.

demon pimp

fiend_3q_diff.jpg

fiend_3q_norm.jpg

fiend_wire.jpg

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good work, I think the sculpt and concept could have been pushed further
  • Plague
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    good work, I think the sculpt and concept could have been pushed further

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers man, yeah I kept it kinda simple since my first attempt on a mudbox model went bad. I was kinda just using it to get a good work flow going and to see what problems pop up.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    dont make orto-view-renders.. they always look odd..

for the highpoly: try to sharpen some parts up.. so you can loose this melted look a bit(mainly the parts, where different, muscles are meeting or the parts where something goes into the body like the "finger")
    for the spec map: if you define the structure of the skin more in the spec map, it gives you a lot more depth, and a nice looking effect smile.gif

nice ! keep going smile.gif
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Could paint some shadows around the eyes but anyways...looks good, its been years since I played the first one.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    I think you need a stronger light source on your beauty render. It looks good but a bit too dark on my screen. The eyes and the teeth look especially nice.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    i hate the spine
  • Plague
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    dont make orto-view-renders.. they always look odd..

for the highpoly: try to sharpen some parts up.. so you can loose this melted look a bit(mainly the parts, where different, muscles are meeting or the parts where something goes into the body like the "finger")
    for the spec map: if you define the structure of the skin more in the spec map, it gives you a lot more depth, and a nice looking effect smile.gif

nice ! keep going smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I got lazy and just used the user view to render out some images, even forgot to change it to perspective view. Yeah the muscle's are pretty screwed, I was really just poking pushing things at random. I'm not happy with the spec map either that's one thing I'll definitely fix up.

[ QUOTE ]
    Could paint some shadows around the eyes but anyways...looks good, its been years since I played the first one.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah quakes still fun to break out now and then, you should try darkplaces if you still have the pak files

[ QUOTE ]
    I think you need a stronger light source on your beauty render. It looks good but a bit too dark on my screen. The eyes and the teeth look especially nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, yeah like i said its just a view port render with no lights, besides 3ds max's default set up. I'm playing round rigging the model now, and will probably pose and light for a proper moneyshot.

[ QUOTE ]
    i hate the spine

[/ QUOTE ]

well there's no way it'd work in real life, but i like it smile.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sure I posted in this thread before. Anyway, his arms are pretty short for a Fiend. His silhouette needs to look like a Quake logo when he leaps.