Home Technical Talk

Masking prob

Bronco
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Bronco polycounter lvl 18
Hi Guys

Im having some probs with masks. (see image below)

Bear in mind this isn't game spec so anything goes.But the dials must animate,to do this I was gonna use animated textures.

Im basically getting this horrid black line around my shaders,my current set-up is solide White gradient in the diffuse slot and a 32-bit image in the opacity slot. Having messed with various settings and made sure everything is acturally lined up im out of ideas.

This isn't a prob in itself but unfortunatly the camara is further back,which means the white turns to a solid black. Hidious.

Heres the piccy :- http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee294/Bronco_78th/dial_prob.jpg

Any help much appreciated.

John

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Software?

Looks like your opacity map is also in the diffuse slot, not just solid white.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey Eric.

Sorry,im using studiomax8.

I just went back and double checked the Diffuse slot to make sure I hadn't set the .tga as a sub-map,the diffuse is definatily just a solid gradient.

John
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK. What do you mean by solid gradient? If you just want a solid color, clear out the diffuse slot and use the color swatch instead.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    John I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can't you just model the dials and animate them? Or if you need to save on rendering time animate the dials render to an animated texture and apply to the model, or just composite the animated textures with video post or in something like after effects or Premiere. I hope the studio you work has those kinds of options since it would save you a bit of time. smile.gif Can you give a more detailed explanation about your setup.

Part of your question sounds like you are trying to create a blend material with a gradient, but after reading this again it doesn't seem to be the case.

Alex
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Sage and Eric.

thanks for the replies....all fixed now,I just remade the shader from scratch and the mask worked fine.

I can only assume it was an issue with studiomax.

Cheers anyway.

John