Home Technical Talk

CrazyBump's Displacement Mapping

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
Are the displacement maps generated by CrazyBump actual displacement maps? They don't seem to work very well as one.. Also, they don't seem to be applied in the preview window.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yes they are "actual" displacement maps, but obviously the accuracy of them depends on how good your source photo is, and how well you control the normalmap settings.
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    Ah, when I first generated one I thought it was some ambient occlusion map. When I tried applying it as a displacement map though, it came out all whack. I guess it was just my source then. Thanks! smile.gif
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    you can use the displacement mapping as fake AO.. works pretty decently actually, but as mop said, you can't really expect crazybump to vomit out pure magic. you have to supply it with proper data and adjust your settings for the most benefit.
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Zephir62,

The result from CrazyBump depends on your source image and your choice of settings.

Most often you'll need to mix shape analysis with the various frequency sliders. Experimentation is necessary to find the right mix.

Would you mind giving me a peek at your source images?

If you send an image to ryan@crazybump.com, I would be happy to offer specific advice.

Even I must admit CrazyBump sometimes finds a texture that it doesn't handle well. If you find such an image, please send it to me so I can use it to improve my shape-detection!

I will, of course, respect the intellectual property of any image that you send me, and I'm happy to sign an NDA to that effect when necessary.

cheers,

-Ryan
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    BTW, you are correct that CrazyBump does not show displacement on the preview window.

That will change in the next release, but for now you've just got to eyeball it.