Home Technical Talk

quick one

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
MikeF polycounter lvl 19
Hey guys, just wondering if there's an equivalent to the shell modifier in max for maya? I'm working on some exterior structures with interiors and it would be of much help rite now. thanks.

Replies

• Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    when you extrude faces it'll create a back side so you'll get a closed shell.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    I'm aware of the extrude tool... Because these are one sided faces my exterior will extrude inwards, not create additional faces.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    have history turned on, go to hotbox > polygon tools(or 'mesh' if you are on version 8+) > move component > then drag the blue arrow with a yellow circle at the end or input a number in Z (I believe) (thats from the top of my head, not sure about the menu names!)
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    has move component been renamed in version 8+?
    not seeing it anywhere.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well I was super-unclear anyways :P
    Here is the deal:

http://caad.arch.ethz.ch/info/maya/manual/UserGuide/ModelingPoly/PolyComponents.fm.html#1006502

Use Edit Polygons > Move Component to translate, rotate, or scale polygonal components.

[...]

Move Component also has additional constraints that Maya's generic transformation tools do not have, such as moving perpendicular along normals.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    I'm kind of confused what you're looking for. You want to make it a shell without adding the additional faces an extrude would create?
    Anyway, if you're looking for the move component tool in 8+ it's in Edit Mesh->Transform Components
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    I'l try to be a bit more specific, thanks for the effort so far guys.
    Problem.jpg
    What i'm trying to avoid is the bottom left picture. I want the same face extruded on the interior to add depth where as rite now all its doing is moving the position of my original face.
  • rybeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks alike 'Duplicate face' is what you want...

Take a look at the pics
    duplicatedface01mk6.jpg
    Shot at 2007-11-17
    duplicatedface02wk8.jpg
    Shot at 2007-11-17

From simple cube, I selected a face (in face mode), and dupicated the face. In max, 'clone'(with 'copy' option) would be equivalent term.
    Then "combine" two objects (the simple cube and newly made face) first (just alike 'attach' in max), and fill the gap as it necessary... In order to make the newly made face as 'Interior' that will be shown in inside, either 'rotate' to the camera, or 'reverse' the normal direction...

Hope this helps.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    What i'm trying to avoid is the bottom left picture. I want the same face extruded on the interior to add depth where as rite now all its doing is moving the position of my original face.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Does Maya have edge extrude? If it does, you can detach the door polys and edge extrude the newly opened wall polys leaving the door where it is. You might want the door as a separate object any way, no need to have everything one continuous mesh.