Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character- Sara (big images)

Hi- I decided to make new thread for that WIP- i want to make that character the best as I can so advices will be welcome smile.gif

This is character for horror game- thats why she looks a little bit sick and mad. Actual textures are 200% of final size.

sarawipyg6.jpg

saraheadae8.jpg

Hi poly sourcesarahioo7.jpg

Lowpoly with normal and ao

scr7ak1.jpg

Replies

• seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    well asside from getting alot of heat about my knoweledge in anatomy in my thread, heres what I can say I see wrong, imediately her nose is so pointy I think it could slice me if she wanted to.I dunno if its the angle or whatever but the same can be said about the boobs this is just me but I could be off, her hands seem really big and masculant as oppose to soft and feminete but it could be due to her sharp features that are doing this, other than that mesh looks nice, shes got no ass, I like girls with meaty behinds smile.gif
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    the straps of the holster and the belt look like they would cut into her skin. they should sit on top of the pants.

example: http://usemycomputer.com/indeximages/wom...1931-001X1X.jpg
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Me think the arse could use a little bit of rounding as she is wearing rather skimpy clothes.

Her fingers could also use a little bit of more length as that's a fair characteristic of female hands.

Then push her bosoms a little higher.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    she seems to have a very strong masculine jawline and thick neck. along with the above mentioned stuff.

also.. those pants are way too baggy for a horror game.. ever tried to run with pants like that? ...doesnt work.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think the nose is that bad... a little Michael Jackson-esque, but not that unusual either (for women). The breasts are a little odd, but I think it's the jacket that's bothering me. I've never seen a jacket form fit to breasts like that, and I think it creates an odd shape to the breasts as a result. The back of her shirt looks pinched along the spin also... I'd relax that some.

I think she's looking good otherwise
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Looks nice. One thing that bothers me a bit is the eyes. I think they'd look more lively if they had highlights.

eyesrd0.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i really like the overall shape of the face. very nice, though the texture seems a bit muddy
  • madman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin- you are right about the hands- I try to make them more lean, but nose and the "back" i have to leave as they are wink.gif

asherr- good reference, thanks

pliang- i don't like create characters too perfect co i leave bosoms a little bit drooping

notman- i saw that kind of jacket on the ebay smile.gif made the sketch and decided to use it in that project

comrade- this is what reflection map in engine will do wink.gif

sectarus- thx for the good word smile.gif texture is muddy becouse i want to make her dirty and, as I said before, sick. But propably I exaggerate a little ^^

Thanks for comments- I will update thread on a days.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    looks like she's suffering from a case of skii-ramp boobies. IE: i can see a family of borrowers boarding down from her shoulder, and using that awsomely sharp transition to launch themselves into the abyss.

looks awsome otherwise smile.gif
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I dont know why nobody mention this: It looks like she has a big bulge at the top of her head and the hair line is too low.
    Overall its a nice character. A side view would be nice.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the ammount of work gone into it already. The torso looks great and the textures are really nice. Some wire shaded views of the low poly would be helpful =)

Crits:
    - The jaw line is very angular and manish as well as the other crits people have mentioned about the face.
    - The ski ramp boobies could be rounded out a bit, you can still get that upturned sex appeal without the deep pits.
    - The baggy pants look ok when she's not moving, they have great weight to the folds and drape really nicely. The problem is when she goes to move, those are going to turn into big blobby messes that don't react like they should. If shes a statue, awesome leave em. If not they need to be turned down or expect your animator to wack you on the head a few hundred times.
    - The wists are really thin and the hands are kind of bulky, specifically the palms and the fat pad of the thumb. If you smoothed that transition it would look more natural and would animate easier. Don't forget about the bump in the wrist you get from the ulna, it really helps sell the wrist if you include it in the silhouette.

Looking great! Top quality all the way around even if you don't change a thing =)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    looking pretty cool. something bugs me about the relationship between the arms and the width of the torso

The arms just seem too spindly. nice model overall though

I am really ,liking the head as it is, though the hair shape could be more elegant
  • The Umbrella Man
    [ QUOTE ]
    I dont know why nobody mention this: It looks like she has a big bulge at the top of her head and the hair line is too low.
    Overall its a nice character. A side view would be nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this, the hair line is completely ruining it for me right now, it's throwing off everything to the point that when I look at her Donald Trump comes to mind. It's not to say it's a bad model, it's an awesome model, I think that moving the hair line where it would be naturally would make the face as good as everything else.

In general though the hairs just kinda bad. It doesn't look like it's laying natural, hair that long would most likely be tucked behind her ear or something, or combed a little back to stay out of her eyes, you know like when shes running from the Rape Rape Rape machine.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Model is look very good so far, and there have been plenty of good crits in here, but I gotta elaborate on one in particular:

Her boobs are wrong. They are somehow both firm AND saggy. Their position on the chest indicated they have sagged a bit, and yet their still retain a very hard, pointy shape. For her age especially, it's not anatomically correct. If you want them saggy, you should soften them up a little in the nipple area. If you want them firm and ski-rampy, pull them up a little, as boobies that stiff would not have sagged nearly that much at her age.

I have a PHD in boobies. Believe it.
  • madman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for tons of great crtz! I agree with You about the hairs- i'm remodel them. But plz- leave the boobs smile.gif A little update (sry about the hard bloom). Actualy i working on pants- the rest of the model is only with color or facture. Low poly (in fact midpoly) You can see on my blog (link in signature)- ther is a concept too.

Thanks once again!

sarawipum3.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    now that is fucking sexy....

by the way, could you please post your lighting setup? (like... intensities and positioning around the model?)
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    one more note about the pants: any pants that long that have been worn for a decent amount of time will be worn and tattered on the back of the bottom cuff from the heels of the feet. if they're really well worn there will be an upside-down U shaped hole worn into the back. (just like my pants. wink.gif )
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Arrgh... can see the concept image on the blog.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    really awesome model dude, i really dig the textures especially her jeans. what did you use to render? looks pretty. =)
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Ruz about the arms. They appear very skinny and frail to me in comparison to the rest of her physique.

I think the hair is giving the impression that she has a slightly tall skull. Which could be fine really. Personally, I'm all for deviating from the generically proportioned character physiques you see in most games.

Her vest seems to be sitting oddly. The sharp inward pinch about half way down her chest doesn't look right to me. Also, it almost looks like there is an invisible strap pulling the vest together below her breasts.

Just my two cents man, I reserve the right to be completely wrong. tongue.gif All that nitpicking aside, she's looking good overall! Keep it up!
  • madman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for advices. Some things are done- but still WIP. Sorry for render quality but I do not want to spend our waiting for preview smile.gif

sarawip1oz6.jpg

cheers!
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Now that you have the character posed, some proportional issues come into view that were otherwise not visible.
    Her arms and hands, overall, are too small. Scale up the arms until the point of the middle finger reaches the middle of the thigh (while her arms are strait down). This will solve the shriveled look her arms have.
    Also, it looks like her torso is too long.
    Otherwise, pimpin character! Great lighting and textures. The face is very unique.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Id say bump them up about 25% more, the tips of the fingers should be pretty close to the top of the lower thigh when stretched down. So in that pose her fingers should be about at the fold on the pouch on her leg?
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    she's still gonna be tripping over those baggy pants when her heel comes down every time she runs
  • madman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are right about the arms and hands- now after a while of relax I can see that too smile.gif And the pants- down part of that "baggy" pants will be on realtime cloth so i think, that could be visual attractive- will see in game

Cheers
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    forget about the pants, its a game and its called suspension of disbelief. it looks great. i agree about the arms though.
    good work mate
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    it requires no suspension of disbelief. I've seen plenty of chicks wear similar pants and not get tripped up.

like the pose. agree about the arms. fancy model!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    What is she previewed in?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    as i posted before, could you post a screenshot or something of your lighting setup, or explain how you've lit the scene?
  • madman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    excuse me almighty_gir- I forgot about this, I will enclose max screenshots with next update

piro- scanline renderer (max ofcourse) with 3 omni lights and a while of "blooming" in ps wink.gif
  • madman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So- almost done! Thanx a lot for crits and advices- there is still a few things to fix but i need to take a break smile.gif Hope You like the final effect: sarapresentationdi8.jpg

Some texture shots:

kolorbalansokluzjayd6.jpgkolorclosefe5.jpg
    normalclosemc6.jpg

And max scene, model is still before optimization (8k actually):

sarashotbxb7.jpg
    sarashotawn1.jpg
    sarashotckh8.jpg

Cheer!
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    This has really shaped up nicely. I love the idea of modeling a photography muslin backdrop for the render, I've not seen that done before.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Her pose looks awkward because her shoulders and elbows are too far back.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Man, this chick is awesome, great work! If you could give her a perfect ass, it would be nice, although you said you like having a bit of imperfection.. Which could go for the face instead of the ass (the ass is more important after all!). And personally, I like the tits. Really.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great but im not digging the hair. But over all really good.
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DGURU polycounter lvl 17
    good , 4/5 , good texturing , but her a** is flat , is it lcd or something ! lol ....
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    wow that unwrap is a mess o_O
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    what's wrong with the unwrap?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to hang my hat on her boobs... wink.gif
    Looks great, but all my previous crits still apply, but its your model make it how you like =)

In defense of the ski-ramp boobs she could be really saggy and have one hell of a bra holding them up giving that shape. Age isn't the only factor in sag, exercise, bra wearing habits and genetics play a huge factor. I'm actually starting to like em more and more its a nice counter point to the classic "watch my cleavage slap you in the face as it squeezes out of this convenient cutout in my sci-fi armor."

The pants and the arms and the face still bug the hell out of me, meh... the rendering almost makes up for that.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    [ QUOTE ]
    what's wrong with the unwrap?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well i'm not a fighter for quadraster like unwraps, i use pelt and relax very often, but how the hell do you get an unwrap with different leg size? While the mesh is almost symetrical... It looks almost like the mesh got unwrapped while in a pose with one leg standing on stone and the other on the ground. There is a lot of wasted texturespace because of everything beeing pelted/relaxed without any tweaking.
  • danpants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpants polycounter lvl 14
    Nice character. Great texture and lighting. Might tweak the hair.
  • madman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx for comments! great to read some good words

SEKNeox- sometimes You have to "distort" your UVs for save space or just for better shells arrangement, unfold3d uwraped uvs perfectly- I modified pants on my own becouse of jacket

Cheer!