Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mech robots

Worked a bit more on previous robots. Here how it worked out smile.gif

character-sci-fi-3D-lowpoly-mech-robots-collection_wide.jpg

More shots and info here

Below are shots 4 of them with wires. Polycount 3-6k for each.
character-sci-fi-3D-lowpoly-mech-robots-collection_01.jpg

character-sci-fi-3D-lowpoly-mech-robots-collection_07.jpg

character-sci-fi-3D-lowpoly-mech-robots-collection_13.jpg

character-sci-fi-3D-lowpoly-mech-robots-collection_19.jpg

Replies

• animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    rock on man, lets see some flats and the texture sizing!
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    pretty sweet man. i second the call for texture flats. liked the gun row pics in your gallery. i think the animations could use work though.

p.s. dig the top pic the most, that curve and posture kicks ass.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    The textures look REALLY busy. The designs are pretty cool, but the textures make them really hard to make out aside from recognition like "The green one".

What really does it is that the textures are very homogeneous over the whole mecha. The glowy bits everywhere, and the general lack of part differentiation make them.. less plausible feeling, more toy like.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    awesome work

if you'd asked for crits, I'd have said they're a little too busy in the texture detail department, could use a little more focus... but they look great as is. Definitely wouldn't mind blasting the shit out of a bunch of commies in one of those.
  • 3DRT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all feedback guys.
    First of all about texutes.
    Keep in mind they have 26 skins each of different style and detailing. And each that skin is shared between all of them.
    So these 4 just use 4 example skins on shots above.
    Here is texture layout as requested. It is shoted from 1 mech. Empty areas are used by other mechs parts and weapons.
    There is lots of tricky tiling.
    mech-texture-unwrap.jpg

For example here are some skins of other styles. (You can check all skins by link posted in 1st post)

character-sci-fi-3D-lowpoly-mech-robots-collection_05.jpg

character-sci-fi-3D-lowpoly-mech-robots-collection_09.jpg

character-sci-fi-3D-lowpoly-mech-robots-collection_06.jpg
  • 3DRT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1 more
    character-sci-fi-3D-lowpoly-mech-robots-collection_25.jpg

and guns with different skins
    character-sci-fi-3D-lowpoly-mech-robots-collection_29.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    they certainly look neat, but i can't tell what the fuck is going on with any of them
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    Whats going on is a helping of giant mechanical death.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Great texturing but its so great the details are mostly darkened out but I like.

If only more glow maps to enhance the beacons were added on.
  • Shufly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someones played mechwarrior/battle tech before (*Cough* Madcat*cough* vulture *Cough*)

Heheh, nice work though, but like its been said above, the textures are REALLY busy. Try and get more of a unified and flowing texture palet I think like you did for your black mech. (also, every edge doesnt need to be worn down mee thinks). Great work though, Im impressed!
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    mech robots would be a fun sdk for everyone to try their shot at their own style..
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I thought that's what you were doing with the textures and layouts.

*remembers* ahh yes it IS your tank pack I've worked with. heh

So while it saves space, and makes it faster to make a whole heap of texture variations, it really hurts the individual models in terms of presentation and quality. With a layout like that any given sheet has wasted space for each model, so unless you are showing multiple models with the same texture scheme on screen at once there isn't any savings in terms of memory etc, and only waste of texel detail in most applications.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    the textures are too detailed IMHO

reminding me of N64 games TBH
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    They are overrendered. You cannot see the forest for all the trees.
    The models and the textures are very interesting, but you cant focus on any part of them since the "attraction value" is exactly the same all over the mech.
    For instance, don't put the glowy bits all over. Just where you want some attention, like on the guns, the cockpit, and maybe the feet.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i fourth the notion that the textures are too busy.
    its detail for the sake of detail.
    greeble madness.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the lack of specularity makes them look very flat, combine that with how busy the textures are with all the "gray" chippings (they really just look like gray patches) of paint etc. and it just looks like a mess.

whereas a good spec map and some thoughtful lighting will help define the different shapes.
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    they certainly look neat, but i can't tell what the fuck is going on with any of them

[/ QUOTE ]
    Agreed. I especially like Cronus, but the textures are waaay busy and the only thing that really unifies them is the color. green guy, orange guy.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed the textures are too busy but its a huge body of impressive work, well done. The good thing is its easy to take some of that detail out. Bad new is you put all that work into making noisy textures. Oh well live and learn. Remember that mech have a lot of complicated machinery but you don't need to show it all on the outside. They are also heavily armored and armor is rarely delicately and intricately detailed. I did this paint over for someone who had the same noisy texture issue you do. If it was you I need to stab you in the nuts a few times for not listening =P
    http://www.vigville.com/forum_images/mech.gif
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Personally i say that your hard work is excellent...You might want to start some other designs that are noticibly different.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    oh per, come here, ill make it taste aaaall better now
    love, no?
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    I for one, love the complexity of the textures. Freaking awesome stuff.
  • The Umbrella Man
    The first thing that went through my head was that you tiled too many of the details. So theres not a whole lot of uniqueness going on in the model as a result. So I couldn't at first glance tell what the model was, I actually had to stare at it for a few seconds before it clicked in my head, "ohh that's a mech".

Your texture in places looses descriptive purpose, so make sure each inch of the texture conveys a part, and that the parts look functional, because right now it looks novel, but not like a killing machine. Too many lights and whatnot.

Did any of that make sense? Probably not.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    3rd edit (sheesh): Not to mention he posts here under his company name and uses the boards as advertising service, sorry, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah i gotta agree here.