Home Technical Talk

UVing for TF2

buddikaman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
SO I am new to unwrapping and a little confused. I am trying to re-make a TFC map(Rock2) for TF2 and plan on adding custom props, as shown.

propsmv2.jpg

So I tried unwrapping my first model today and was a bit confused, btw this is the model.

uvquestion2on4.jpg

So i had little proplems unwrapping the Heavy cutout, but the wooden boards supporting the back of the cutout, should i make those seperate objects and unwrap them seperatly from the cutout, and if i have two identical objects would i just create one than clone it with the uvs?

uvquestion1yr1.jpg

Should i unwrap the Nails as seperate objects as well? What is a general rule of thumb on how many seperate objects to unwrap by themselves as opposed to having a complex object with sub-objects and just doing everything on one flat? And say for example you do have multiple objects that are being imported into the game as one prop/static mesh cant you just apply sub-materials for different flats to combine to your one object? hmmm

Help appreciated!!

-Buddikaman-

Replies

• Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if i was you.. i wouldnt even make nails for that model. they are so tiny and dont add nothing to the model.
    you need to think how this model is gonna be seen. is it gona be seen only from the front? if so delete the backfaces and all that jazz.
    smile.gif
    carry on. nice models also. smile.gif
  • Josh Winn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    should i make those seperate objects and unwrap them seperatly from the cutout, and if i have two identical objects would i just create one than clone it with the uvs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see any reason to have unique UVs for the two wooden supports. Just unwrap one and clone-instance it, attach everything together when you're done to put it on one sheet (I'm not sure which program you are using but in Max I would collapse stack before attaching)
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    SO when designing models that have objects that are identical the workflow would consist of only uving 1 and than cloneing it?

How in gods name would i unwrap the chain links on that Heavy bag? unwrap one than copy them over and over? When you clone a unwraped object does the copy have to have its own UV space in your flat??? Im lost here.

-Buddikaman-
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    If you unwrap an object and then clone/instance it, the clone inherits the same uv space. (if you select element on those uv's and move them over you'll see, there will be an exact copy under it for the copied polys)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If you're sticking to the style of TF2 you'll hardly need to unwrap them. a plain bluish-grey should be all you'd need, I think.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    The nails are a nice touch, I'd keep them. However, I'd over-emphasize them. Instead of detailed nails, make each one an elongated pyramid, upside down, like a rail spike. It'd fit the style, and would be much more noticeable. You can make them even larger, but here's an example:

nails.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally agree with Vassago about the nails, save polys and make the details noticeable. Nice props by the way, there are a few areas you could optimize. Like the dryer, detach some of those cut details, float them and save yourself some polys. You might be able to save enough polys to detail the inside and do an alt version with the door open. Over all its looking good. keep at it!