Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Angel Character

Hello all,

This is an angel character I just finished who had her wings cut off. I'm still learning so any tips about anything I could have done better is appreciated.
2198 poly and 3951 tris.
2 1024 colormap
2 512 spec
1 512 alpha

fornishpicem5.jpg
fornishpic2qr2.jpg
fornishpic3ta2.jpg

jason

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    1024x texture with spec inside the diffuse??!! I would add some more fine details or size down to 512, the armor is really tight and form fitting just at the design level I would beef it up more or define more of her ass region if it is that form fitting. is this going to go in any particular engine? other than the face looks a bit like I five head instead of a forehead the model is great and deforms well.

Maybe adding some feathers sticking out from between the bandages, or old blood per taste.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    uh can we atleast see a whole in her heart since technically fallen seraphims usually have scars remaining where there hearts once were. Or atleast have the back of her wings showing scar signs of some sort?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    She's only got one set of wing joints. She ain't no Seraph.

Theology aside, you've got a few problem areas here. Proportionately she's not too bad for the most part. Her hands are a bit flat and formless. They're also deforming rather badly in a number of your rigged shots. You might like to bulk out the armour plates to give her a more interesting silhouette.

Texturewise, the main issue at this stage is the flesh tone. Get some more colour variation in there and a whole lot of stronger shading. That should help the look of the model a lot. From there you need to get yourself some good facial reference and do some model and texture teaks on her head. The eyes and nose are in particular need of fixing.

The specular needs some real work. Hunt around a little through pimping and previews and see how other people do their spec maps. I'm not the most experienced with such things myself, but you'll probably want a coloured one, primarily a dark colour with a blue-ish hue for the skin and a brighter colour for your metal areas.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    this is not making use of the two 1024 maps. it looks like it could all be on a single 512 and not lose any detail. also, why does her hair have twice the uv space of her armor, when the armor mesh is twice the size of the hair?
  • shadowholm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments,

I changed the textures maps around and added a bump map. Now its 1 1024X1024 diffuse, spec, bump, alpha. The fingers are still wierd, I'm having trouble getting them to deform any better =(

fornishpicex2.jpg

fornishpic2qs0.jpg

jason