Home General Discussion

Should I be mad or happy?

I am a student at the Art institute of San Diego California. And throughout the quarters Ive gone here Ive seen some good things produced in unreal 2 under our prototyping class. But today I was told that prototyping is no longer going to be done in unreal 2. To much of my shock and displeasure it is not unreal 3 either but flash.

Should I be mad that the school no longer will teach unreal editor and focus on flash games? I know that there are plenty of good flash games out there and that there is a market out there for flash games, but am I wrong for thinking that flash is last gen and engines like epic's unreal 3 are now and things we at the school should be learning?

Replies

• dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Depends. UE is for the games industry, but flash is infinitely more useful for webwork. I guess it depends what your school is looking to focus on.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    My school has a few interactive classes in my animation department. They are all flash.

Flash is good to learn. Lots of freelance work to do with flash. Its also quite capable for quickly animating stuff.

UnrealEd is good to learn to. Sucks your school stopped offering it, but these things happen. Go buy UT3 or roboblitz or Gears of War and learn the Unreal 3 editor on your own time. Go through tutorials and it shouldnt even take you that long to pick up.

The thing about prototyping games is that in flash, you can make an entire game on your own with minimal coding ability. With unreal, you need a badass coder. I assume you're an artist, so stick with learning artsy things and let coders worry about their crazy mods.

Also, flash is not last-gen.
  • Toecutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am killaball's classmate, i had just found out about this at the same time he did.

Prototyping class was to create a mod through the unreal 2 engine. Also to simulate a work environment with working in groups and meeting deadlines.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I'm slogging through flash right now.

wish i had taken a class on it.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Its good to know flash but for your class...it SUX.

But you will need to understand those tools on your own time anyways in order to master it.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I'm about to graduate from the ai here in schaumburg and we still use Unrealed. I haven't heard anything about a change. It's probably because they are too lazy to upgrade to UT3, they already have flash.

IMO there should be an option to choose what you want to learn ... Unreal is a hell of a lot more relevant for me, at least. I don't believe you can make full 3d in flash
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I'd be pissed. The single most important thing I got out of the AI here is the mod experience. Not only does it show atleast some level of practical experience, our mod has gotten tonnes of notice for us.

Not sure what your school's policies are like down there, but up here we were allowed to use any engine we wanted. You may want to look into using a game engine despite your school wanting you to use flash. (For instance, one of the guys we just hired from an art institute used source rather than UT).

All that said, if you have to use flash it can be used to make some pretty impressive stuff, so it's not like all is lost. My comments are based soley on my personal experience at AI/the industry. May not hold true for all.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    flash rulez .. learnd so much with and through this programm .. never bad to be able to use it

but is prototyping not used to test game-mechanics? games like starkraft could be flash-prototyped couldn´t they?!

in the end YOU have to know what you want.. 3d-editor or web/programming/2dart knowledge
    what you don´t get there you have to learn by yourself
    smile.gif
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Flash is good but its not a replacement for proper 3D game design!

Flash is good for web marketing and animations but its not really made for games. Also a game which is made in flash certainly isnt regargeded in the same way as a game made in the unreal engine.

Its a completely different ball game and as such should be taught in its own class instead of replacing a useful one.

If you ask people "whats an amazing game?" do they ever mention a 2D flash game? hardly ever!

This would make me mad >:(

So I recon if you want to learn next-gen 3D game design while at university then you should inform them of this and perhaps they will let you learn whatever engine you like instead.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    tons of games are made using flash....but it still takes a badass programmer to make them well. Its certainly not a replacement for even an outdated 3d engine. I'd be mad.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    ....HUH!?!? How do they go from an Unreal engine to flash!? Talk about apples to oranges.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Well if no one complains about it, then it will continue the way its going. Which isn't necessarily a benefit to anyone.
    A course I did a few years ago went to shit and a tutor we had wasn't really teaching us anything. It was a games development course and we weren't even taught anything game specific. We finally complained about it, but a little too late to get any real compensation for it. But hopefully it helped out with the following year's students. I also didn't continue with the course the following year because of that.

But back on topic, to go from a 3D game engine to a 2D vector package is a huge jump. If its prototyping, it all varies on the type of game you're willing to make/prototype. But any type of game that flash can handle, UE2 will be able to handle just as well. But you get the benefit of all the extra game types that flash can't handle, while UE2 can.
    If I were you, speak with some of the other students and get their opinions on the matter. If a lot of them agree with you, speak to a course coordinator or someone high up that can help sort this issue out. Especially if its not something you've signed up for when you took the course on.
    Good luck, dude.

-caseyjones
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I sympathise, but honestly - you're a student, which means.. you have to put up with stupid shit all the time, so why even bother to complain? smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Per you always have awesome shit to say.

It's true academia (it seems in all schools) is constantly doing absurdly stupid shit. I suffered through it myself when going to school. Switch schools, learn flash, or drop out of that class and take something you are interested in. Continue to work with UE2 in your spare time.

[add on]
    Oh yeah, money talks, especially at schools, so if a LOT of you complain to the administration and threaten to transfer somewhere else, more than likely they will listen. Get a petition going or stage a mass walk in on the deans open door policy to voice your dissatisfaction. Go kick some ass dude, don't be sad or happy, BE ANGRY!
  • Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am just upset that for two and a half years of going here to the school we have been learning 3d art and its been known that all our 3d that we are learning is going to go towards our prototyping class. The class is to show off everything as a student you have learned at the school and it should give each student plenty of whatever to put in their portfolio. So for the past two years Ive learned 3dsmax maya mudbox zbursh and unreal 2k4 and now we are going to be makeing a game prototype in a program that the school is not teaching to us just seems very odd to me.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    ah, i didn't realize that this was sort of a thesis class for you guys. I thought it was more of an elective type class.

Get a lot of students together and inform the head of your department how you feel.
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well that does suck, don't be timid though. You are paying them and they are essentially your employees, they aren't doing their job and they aren't spending your money in the way you expected or were promised. Make your opinions. concerns, and feelings very clear. Develop your argument before you meet and develop an outline of your main points if you to. Find out if other people feel the same way and create a coalition of fellow students, get them to sign a petition if you need to. Whatever you decide to do don't passively accept it, they work for you so be demanding. Be sure to check your emotions about the issue at the door so they don't confuse your frustration with hysteria.
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as using a last gen engine is concerned, I'm sure that the school could have the students purchase the 15 dollar Robo Blitz so that they could use a current gen albeit stripped down version of UE3 to do a mod. Not intending to derail the thread with talks of alternative engines just making the point that there are other options open as far as teaching relevant content.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    You should be fucking furious, and tell your dean to either fix the fucking program, or he can shove a fucking erator up his asshole.

If you're going for the core pc & console games industry, then *fuck* flash. You need the engine experience, and that's something Flash isn't going to offer. (Though it does assist scripting knowledge. It offers little to nothing along the lines of 3d graphics.) Maya & Max aren't going to show you how your assets behave in a realtime, and the bugs that might occur that Max & Maya can afford to ignore/don't have to deal with. Coast through the Flash course, and get Gears or Robo for UE3, (UE2 is far more relevant than Flash, even.) for yourself and make a *real* game dev portfolio in your spare time/during class time if you've managed to get ahead.

As a former AI graduate, I can only tell you they pull this shit all the time, and there comes a point where you have to ignore their bullshit filler curriculum where they're trying to cut corners and cheat students out of the education they paid for, and just learn it yourself.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Its stupid, and yes you should complain. I am working at a company making flash games now, and I learned everything I needed to know about flash on the job (for reference I hadn't ever used flash before starting here).

Unreal on the other hand is a super complicated beast, and your learning time is much better spent learning UED.

Flash isn't old news, and learning it can help you get a job (if you are interested in web games), but it certainly shouldn't replace learning Unreal.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Coming from someone who graduated at AI San Diego and got a solid gig in the industry before I graduated. Yes. You should be mad.

Prototyping was never about a protfolio piece regardless of what they may tell you. What it did do well was to teach you about a game pipe line. However UE is a very watered down verson of your average game pipeline, it gave you a sense of how everything worked. I never put anything from my prototyping class in my portfolio, but i did learn a heck of alot from it, which I believe later helped in starting my gig.

The administration at AI more then likely wont listen to you. It might not even listen to any of the local developers advise. Your on the home strech now, finish it up, get your degree, get a job, and pay off the crazy high student loans. Get UE3 this month (this month right? heh) and make some awesome piece with that.

Again really sorry to hear this. Its really sad to see my former school making serious mistakes.

Best of luck man. Hit me up if you need crits or whatever. Peace.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Dude I had to do all my game design stuff with director. Yes be pissed, flash is for web apps, tell them if you wanted to use flash to make applications you would have been a web programmer because the art side of flash is very easy to learn on your own. Is it 1999 again, and Macromedia still exists, what the hell, I remember when they said at school Flash was taking over the world, then the dot coms crashed. That's a total waste of your money.

Alex
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Prototyping was never about a protfolio piece regardless of what they may tell you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, just like to put in that this is not entirely true. If you get a decent team and treat the class right it can work out great for the 'folio. I know that I got atleast one interview entirely due to our project as well as a job partially from it and our producer got a job almost entirely through it. It's actually still getting us some decent notice now. Doesn't work that way for everyone, but it can be very useful.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...because the art side of flash is very easy to learn on your own....

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh yes, my career belittled in a single sentence!

I agree that getting jobbed out of UED sucks, but the skills translate beyond the tools. Learning game design is more important than learning a level editor, and if it's still a good design class, you'll benefit.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's crap like this that makes me thankful I bought a house instead of pissing my money away at school. Of course now there are much better options available...now... I would be pissed, you signed up for one thing, PAID for one thing and now the rug is being pulled out from under you. I would leave and find a quality school to go to or stick it out and double down on your efforts which you should be doing anyway. In our casual games department they use Flash to make 2D puzzle games. They also use 3D, just because the end result is 2D it doesn't mean you can't break out the 3D. Now if they have stripped out all access to 3D training you have a legit reason to burn a few buildings down =P

Unreal is a top notch engine, it costs big money to license it. Normally only companies with serious resources are going to use it, they will also hire high quality talent that comes with years of experience. Lets be real about where you're going to land after school, the chances of landing a job actually working with the unreal engine are pretty slim. As long as you understand the work flow you'll have a rough blue print of how places work. Even then its only how one place/person suggests you work and every place is different. Employers know this and they don't expect you to know every last twist and turn of their pipeline before walking in the door.

I don't mean to be little the learning experience but its easy to get caught up in learning the nuts and bolts, menu's and sub-menus and miss the important aspects they are trying to teach you. Those things are what will translate to every aspect of the industry and will let you carry over your talent to any engine. Chances are you won't be able to put the nuts and bolts knowledge of unreal to any use until after about 2-5years of already being in the industry, by that time it could have changed making what you know obsolete.

Learn the skills that will never go tits up on you...

Just knowing the nuts and bolts of unreal won't land you a job. Lots of people can be taught to use UnrealEd, not very many people can use it well. There isn't a "make map awesome" button and it takes time to get the skills you need, even if they don't come from working with the one editor you're attached to emotionally.

Most employers are looking for the spark of creativity, the drive to see it through and a healthy dose of talent. You can show that in Unreal as well as Flash and a handful of other ways. Just about anyone can play a flash game, on any computer. Don't minimize the effect a playable demo can have on an employer. Especially if its fun. It trumps screen shots any day. What are the chances they'll download your Unreal level, have the software/hardware needed to run it? By removing a large part of the technical learning curve they are actually giving you more time to be creative and giving you more time to make something great.
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    Well said Vig, kinda scared me with the comment of bought a house instead of going to school, kinda wish I would of thought of it.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    I'm aisd, if this is really the case here i think that it should be addressed beacause flash isn't really our deal right? Your in the game art & design right? Talk to Christian as he is the new whatever its called guy - art director or whatever-. Lets protest!

if enough of us say something - things will change.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Guys, calm down.

I wrote Christian an email regarding this, and he told me to go ahead and repost his response:

<u>My Email</u>

Christian!

I heard recently that the GAD program is getting rid of Unreal for the prototyping class and instead going to Flash. Some of the concerns have been expressed at polycount, over at http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=245984 . My biggest question is whether or not this was because of a lack of teachers? Or perhaps there was another reason or it? I’ve heard that the LA schools are using a “GameWizards” class that more or less makes up for the prototyping experience, but I am curious if the SD school is going to follow suit, or simply do away with Unreal Prototyping?

Either way, we were really curious. A few of us “old schoolers” were pretty concerned that this would really put a damper on the student’s education, and were wondering what direction the GAD program is taking instead?

Donald B. Ott

Associate Prop Artist - High Moon Studios
    dott@highmoonstudios.com
    http://www.donaldott.com

<u>Christian's Response:</u>

Hey Don,

hmm, I'm not sure what the rumor is, we're not removing Unreal at all....I'm moving forward with getting Unreal 2008 installed and we'll continue to use Unreal for the foreseeable future. I think the students got a bit confused, we're considering using flash for the next prototype...but only because I'm a little worried about the prototypes looking a bit dated with the older Unreal engine....but that hasn't been decided yet. Sounds like the students are getting all worked up over a rumor, that I didn't know about. Even if we use Flash we will be moving toward something in 3D that will provide the usual quality of portfolio props, assets etc. that we usually produce....no "whack a mole" prototypes. We haven't decided yet. The students can let Myself, Asa or Wei know what their preference is though...that would help more than making up their own story smile.gif

You can post this on polycount if you want, should fill everyone in for the time being. Thanks.

Christian

--

So it seems like all is well for now. Next time, email the people that make decisions and find out for yourself for sure grin.gif
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Haha. That was a close one. Good job Don.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    thanks Don, see I knew christan would lay down the law.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Don to the rescue. Honestly it would have been a crazy decision to switch to flash. I think more of the learning a pipeline and how to get items into engine and work as a team to meet goals is the main idea behind the whole thing.

While I think the school could easily switch to UT3 and it would benefit even more. Even if it was only roboblitz it could be some really cool stuff.

We will see. I know my time with UT2004 at AISD helped me get a grip on UT3 stuff which led to my current job at Midway.
  • cyborgguineapig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyborgguineapig polycounter lvl 14