Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Noble Man

BlackThief
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
BlackThief polycounter lvl 17
Working on this guy a few days now - highpoly is roughly sketched out, so I started thinking about the colour scheme.

Here's my current photoshop mockup ontop of the highpoly
textureconcept1fr3.jpg

Comments & Crits on that fellow appreciated smile.gif

Replies

• Dakkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dakkon polycounter lvl 10
    Cool! The high poly is coming along really well. My only suggestion would be to think about the smaller details. That's where the model really comes to life. Adding stitching on the clothing, a belt buckle instead of a continuous strand of leather and so on. If he's a nobleman, maybe a heavy money pouch attached to that belt would really sell it as well smile.gif
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    bet he could deliver a wicked bitch slap to his wenches, those hands are huge
  • BlackThief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    definitely right about those hands - don't know why I've never noticed thatconfused.gif

@Dakkon: I see what you mean, I'm also not too keen on that belt, probably going to change that. You can also expect a little more detail on the cloth on the final textures, this is just a more or less rough mockup to play around with colours and patterns.
  • BlackThief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright - finished the lowpoly
    lowpoly1.jpg

it's around 3900 tris and therefore a little more than I actually planned...

quite a lot are spent at the head - though I'm not sure which loops I should get rid of to keep a good animateable mouth
    head_low1.jpg
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I think loop edge wise the lines coming directly from the nostrils you can do without.
  • Dakkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dakkon polycounter lvl 10
    Also, you might want to have a bit more of a cinch in the waist. Right now there is a little bit of one, but it looks like the belt is just hanging there. The cloth would be flowing over that a bit, and it would hug the character's body a bit more closely.
  • BlackThief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright finally got him ingame (doom3)(3500tris 3x512²)

nobleingame2yr6.jpg

didn't do the hat yet and will probably refine also the textures a bit...
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    The cloth textures look good, but there's something about the way his arms look that is bugging me. It looks like his shoulders are way too wide for a man of his build. Try to bring the arms in a bit, closer to the torso. Like so:
    nobleman.gif

The collar looks strange, maybe add some embroidery to the edges.
  • BlackThief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for your comment fogman - I totally agree about the collar - it definitely needs more detail!

Regarding the arms: I built the model using Gauss's proportion studies as a reference, so yeah he's got the proportions of a rather well build male...I definitely see your point that this doesn't really fit the character, unfortunately the model will have to share its rig and animations with other male models and thus I can't go much away from the ideal proportions.

gaussreferencecv9.jpg
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    The Dark Mod?
    We wait eagerly.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    zenarion: foggy is right about the arms. uve got a nice coaty cover around the shoulder and then you narrowed it down to fit the body outline. its not so much that arms are off as what he's wearing should be some inches off from the body, baggy, and proportionally so. dont think about it as distances in x-y from the body outline, but as radius of form around the body.

the dark mod looks great!
    i hope u can do a better job with the AI than t:DS did.
    have u guys tried contacting eric brosius for some music?