Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Control Room 6 (enviroment Wip)

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
low odor polycounter lvl 17
WIP01.jpg

Very wip.. Going for an aged scifi look here- ala starwars, matrix feel...this is just a tiny chunk of it ..more to come

Replies

• Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    looks cool.
    Not sure though if that would be easy to make normal map from those vires cause they r not actually belong to the surface of tubes.
    Some in-game meshes as well?
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    are you planning on doing a normal map? or just doing it very highpoly?
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Maro....I've come up witha brilliant solution for the wires..lol actually I not sure if it will work or not. Pretty much going to project them onto a cylinder then alpha out all the empty space..Will only need it for the top half and the gap in the cylinder. The rest I should be able to project normally I think... I thought about it a bunch because the scene has lots of hanging wires and tubes...it's something I am going to have to experiment with...any sugestions would be helpful.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wip02.jpg

small update...more to come
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    the technical details look pretty good for the most part, but I think what this is lacking is design. it's really hard to tell what anything is or what it's there for. For something like this, I would suggest working from concept art.

Paul richards has a lot of really awesome concept art for stuff like this. Even if you dont use his concepts directly, its at least worth looking at for inspiration.

http://autodestruct.com/concept.htm
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    Actually what I was going to say is what part of the environment is this? At first I thought we were looking at part of a walkway, but after those extra vertical pipes you added, it now looks more like an insanely detailed hanging light fixture viewed from above. IE you'd have fluorescents on the bottom of that curved piece. If you let us know what we're looking at, we'll better be able to give opinions, but whatever it is, sofar it looks really good!
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn it..Form no longer valid...Arggggg...let's try this again.

blah.jpg
    The control room is a small circular room. Made up of 8 pie slices...going for 2 or 3 unique slices. here is a ultra quick mock-up..gives you a better sense of scale I think...the rectangles would be monitors. In the center room is a control chair and an exit hatch.

Slum: Yeah I am having some trouble injecting interesting shapes into this(I'm working without a concept). I'm thinking about putting this on hold and just modeling a few of Paul's concepts...Just waiting for him to get back to me with the A.O.K...Thanks for the link

wip03-1.jpg
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    hi-res geometry looks really cool; however I guess it is still will be hard to obtain optimised textures. It might require too many unique textures insted of re-usable tilable ones. Also there r details that will not make a normal map (like wires on bottom). So those elements will require real geometry for them, that might generate loads of polys.
    Ur hi-res skills r great, I really like it. The style and details look awesome, but in terms of game asset creation it will not enable u to have an efficient workflow.
    I would suggest that first u do low-res good shapes and add details after.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I'd highly suggest besides just looking Paul Richard's concept art...you should go into Quake 4 to the level that they have those circular hi tech elevator shafts around the last few levels and get ideas from that.

You current level details kind looks like part of that level and it suit really well if you built around it (It happens to be a control room as well)
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit more progress.. should have all the high poly done this weekend

wip666.jpg
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    hey, it's coming along! Keep it up smile.gif
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    damn, some intense detailing. looks nice, look forward to updates.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    looks really great, how many tris do you want that part to be in lowpoly?
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wip667.jpg

Back wall...probly add a different set of haning wires to break up the pattern a bit

JOnas: Not sure..However many it takes to look good and still run smooth in unreal ed
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    First off, let me say that I love sci-fi / super detailed stuff like this. You really show a great level of skill for modeling in some really cool looking details. However, trying to do this sort of stuff in game with super awesome results is not easy. Especially if the player is going to be able to actually get close to the objects.

With so much fine detail it's almost impossible to imagine the number and resolution of normal maps that it would take for these pieces to stand up in Unreal. Unreal has a habit of taking some of your very fine details and laughing at you unless you throw a really huge texture size at it.

I'm also worried that you have way too many small sharp corners that will make normal mapping impossible. Edges that are going to get a nice normal need either depth underneath them or a curved beveled edge.

[ QUOTE ]
    hi-res geometry looks really cool; however I guess it is still will be hard to obtain optimised textures. It might require too many unique textures insted of re-usable tilable ones. Also there r details that will not make a normal map (like wires on bottom). So those elements will require real geometry for them, that might generate loads of polys.
    Ur hi-res skills r great, I really like it. The style and details look awesome, but in terms of game asset creation it will not enable u to have an efficient workflow.
    I would suggest that first u do low-res good shapes and add details after.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all very true, and an unfortunate limitation that we still have when making environments. You don't only have the limitations of your art assets, but you also have a character guy, an FX guy, a level guy, a coder guy, a scripter guy, and 5 other guys who make more money than you telling you where we are going to have to cut corners in order to get this level done. And texture shaving seems to be one of the biggest things that has to be done to reach full optimization.

Either way, keep at it - but I would definitely suggest you take some of it and try to get your normals out first - see what works and what doesn't, then continue - before you spend a huge amount of time doing a full low res mockup or textures only to realize that a lot of the normal detail may or may not work.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    This is really taking shape, low odor. I'm really liking it.
    As for all this talk of, too many unique textures and it will require hi-res textures for the normals to work. They are great suggestions for working within a real game production environment. But with this piece, I personally don't think it really matters.
    Just looking at the mesh, there are heaps of areas where it looks instanced and texture can be re-used. If push came to shove, I don't think low odor would have change much to this piece game ready (besides the obvious of making a lo-poly mesh).
    Great work and keep at it.

-caseyjones
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the advice...Took some time to go over the UT3 Video tuts and dig around in the UT3 Enviroments ...but now I am back to this..I Fully intend on bringing this into UT 3...mostly to learn the editor..and to have a nice enviroment piece for my portfolio.....

Here is a small update ..low poly...max viewport
    wip.jpg

Still wip...more to come
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    nice work. keep chugging along.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    A little bit dark to see the columns but coming along...finish it and Raven will prolly come knockin'.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally had a chance to get back to this...lots of fiddling with UE3....toned down the detail on this because at the distance you see it at ..most of it turns to mush..

ue3wip3.jpg

ue3wip2.jpg

ue3wip1.jpg

More to come
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looking real good! get the rest in there laugh.gif
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, great stuff! Get crackin' wink.gif
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update01.jpg

update02.jpg

Just a small update..lighting is wip..so is the placement of the electrotube pillar thingys...more to come

Lit up the scene a bit more so wasnt so dark...Thanks Indian Boy
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its all a bit dark... with my monitor at max brightness and contrast...

but from what i can see, it looks pretty damned awesome!

keep at it!