Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anatomy Study / Aztec Warrior

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
danpants polycounter lvl 14
Here is a work in progress. I am trying to do an anatomy study and decided to create an Aztec Warrior later to show it off. Critiques and Comments welcome.
ConceptArt:
aztec%2520warrior.jpg

danpants_front_view_sculpt.jpg
danpants_front_view2_sculpt.jpg
danpants_back_view_sculpt.jpg

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Hmmm...have to say, though I don't get a lot of chance hitting at characters myself...he really seems odd.

I dunno why is his legs a little bowlegged.

Seems like he's missing biceps with no pelvis.

A huge gash running down his back looking like he's missing a spine when he should look like he does.

Anatomy wise you should look at real nudes sometimes to narrow down the problems.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Proportions are way off. The hips are too low and the legs are too short. The ass is too long/high. The back muscles are... wrong. The upper arms are too short. A real elbow is not a simple outward bump. The ears are too high. The eyes look squinty. He has a ton of neck striations but no collar bones.

BASICALLY, you went high poly too fast. Get back to the low poly stage and fix your proportions before you move on to details. GET REFERENCE. Oh god does it help. Look at your reference and then your model. Look back and forth again and again and again. Keep doing it. YOu will see more the more you do it.

Sorry for being harsh, my early work was way worse. Just keep on working at it and you'll get it down eventually.
  • danpants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pliang: Yeah, I got more references now and removed that line in the back. Will try to fix his legs and along with his upper body. Thanks for the tips.

@aesir: Thanks for the all tips much appreciated. And its not harsh I would rather someone tell me whats wrong now then have to do it all over again later. I am reworking the model and am looking over my low poly. I gathered more references.

P.S. I will try to post new images soon.
  • danpants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update 1

Here is a small update I am trying to separate each body part so I can focus on each individual section of the body instead of trying to work at all at once. Will try to finish it by this weekend and then add the accessories.

danpants_work_muscles.jpg
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    What's with the wide space between the legs? smile.gif
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    I think the space in the legs is due to the shadow from where his bulge should be. From behind he looks female... why's he got lips where his balls should be?

Seriously though, the back looks much better good muscle structure for a solidly built man. Front looks better too though he's got some seriously tight pecs considering the more bulk muscle that the rest of his body has. That and his knees look like they're side mounted. Seriously looks painful! And I think the face in your avatar would better suit this guy than the one from the first shots. His nose just looked weird.
    Definitely improving though, its good work so far.
  • danpants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update 2

@Likewise: yeah I noticed that too.
    @TorQue[MoD]: I like the front better too. I moved the knees to look more straight. Going to make the pecs softer definitely. Avatar was my Head study which was going to be a more muscular character than I am doing now. And this guy is getting a nose job soon.

Another update.
    danpants_anatomy.jpg
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    His lower legs are too long. Look where his heels would kick his buttocks and compare that to yourself. This guy would hit his upper buttocks, and you'll probably find yourself kicking your lower buttocks.

As for the hands, the anatomy looks seriously way off. Like you've placed the knuckles mnore or less alongside the thumb joint. Like below, in the first hand.

handcompit1.jpg
  • danpants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update 3

Here is another update I changed a couple of things from the concept. Everything has UV's set so I just need to fine tune the sculpt and start texturing it.

Aztec_Progress_clothed.jpgAztec_Progress_clothed2.jpg
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    his torso feels too long to me.
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    I think the torso is fine-- you can see the top of the illiac crest seems to be in the right place. But your belly button is one ab too low-- raise that up, along with the lower part of your pelvis as well. This will shorten the look of the torso & lengthen your legs, which are too short because your pelvis is too long right now. it also looks as if the knees are hyper-extended almost to the point of breaking. bring the feet back some so the knees look slightly bent, because right now your ankles look like they're further forward than the knees.

And I agree with East-- your hands look wonky. The thumbs are too short, and although this time around you got the knuckles lined up with the tip of the thumb about right, the short thumb is shortening the length of the palm. Also, if you plan on rigging this fella, the hands are going to be a bitch. You should model them open-palmed, so that when you go to paint your weights for the rig you won't get joints interfering with each other. Open-palms also helps a lot in figuring out the proportions.

Hope this helps. I could probably have been more specific but I need to sleep now.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Other than that...torso's not just exaggerated but so is the abdomen and he almost has no pecs.

For someone who seems agile it owuld make sense to have longer defined legs.

It'd be nice to sculpt this guy in real life to get the ideas and then go back to 3d sculpting...
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    You need to research anatomy a LOT more.

Upper-inner thighs should touch while standing

Look at Olympic Sprinters (some of the best overall physiques belong to them and Olympic Lifters)
    washington.jpg

For more on muscularity
    http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/powerfulImages.jsp

It's an anatomy study, so get on it. wink.gif
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18

you have this labeled as an anatomy study. if thats for real you need to delete those clothes off this guy and finish up more on the anatomy,
    pants.gif
    wheres some things i did.
    shortened torso and thinned up the diaper waist.
    lenghtened legs (topwards not extending them furher down.
    thicked legs and moved them closer together,
    lenghtened arms a small amount and adjusted elbo a bit.
    broadened shoulders
    moved heas back slightly

these are just my own thoughts

dont rush into clothes before you have the anatomy correct

I made this animated gif to try and show a "few" things that i see as wrong
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heh interesting... I think Banker Cat might be right?

You've made some great progress on the muscles and things are starting to really come together, nice progress so far!

Crits
    The C-Clamp hands and the slit mouth are really wreaking the overall look of the character. Hands convey an incredible amount of emotion and the awkward pose of the fingers just makes it look even more off then it is. The forms are very blobby and you need to work on defining muscle shapes. I think it suffers from premature Sub-D.

I'd also like to echo what cholden mentioned about the thighs, right now you can drive a train between his legs. It's coming from an issue with the hips being really wide. A the actual pelvis bone(s) don't get wider as people put on muscle mass. Right now the pelvis sockets are too far apart. Also the knees are pointing outward, having a small outward pitch to the knees is normal but not this much. Mixed with the wide pelvis it gives the legs look pretty bow legged.

pants01.gif

His nose is pretty wonky also. It's not like there where photos back then but you can get a good feel for what he should look like but looking at ref of people in that area now, or even a little farther north will help. Also don't get too hung up perfecting the parts of the face you'll cover up, this is why I bring up the nose. Ref and more ref.

Fixed ref link.
  • danpants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the C & C's

Finished the clothing and went back to the anatomy. First thing to fix is the legs.

@aesir: Yeah I see that too I think its the abs.
    @WipEout: Raised the pelvis up a little and going to move the belly button up one ab. Hands are giving trouble will try to fix them. Didn't notice the knees thanks. Thanks it did help and get some sleep.
    @pliang: Yeah I need to make his legs longer. I could get some sculpey clay.
    @cholden: Thanks I didn't notice the thighs, they are too far apart. I finished the clothing so I am going back to the anatomy again.
    @Rhinokey: Yeah I am going back to the anatomy again. Thanks for the animated gif. It helps a lot. I raised the pelvis up and am going to lengthened the legs more and adjust the arm length. Move the thighs closer. Move the heels back. And other changes as well.
    @Vig: Hands are giving me trouble the most. And the thighs need to come closer. Thanks for the animated gif. I didn't really get the thigh problem until I saw your gif. I fixed the nose but might change it to another because it still looks weird.