Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

pilot chick with a nose problem.

hey all! i've been looking through this forum for a while and it has some awesome work in it! Seems to be the place to get some good crits too, and that's always nice.

anyway, i've been working on this pilot chick for a while and i'm in the process of unwrapping her, wich brings me to a problem i hope you can help me with. i'm having a hard time getting the nose free from distortion & stretching, it just doesn't seem possible. i don't really know how dist-free the unwrap has to be but i'm planning on bringing the model to ZB soon. Is this result acceptable or do i have to work more on the map? if it's the latter, have any nice nose unwrapping tips?

pilotchickjd1.jpg
distgl2.jpg

hopefully the links works, i don't usually do this.
thanks

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    man, i love this model, the style is awesome.
    If you posted what the uv map looks like as it stands maybe i can help you out with your problem
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unless you mirror the face(only unwrap on side then mirror) you're never going to get a perfect distortion free unwrap on a nose, it really isnt posible, there will be stretching somewhere any way you do it because of the shape extruding out
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    mate. she looks weird as. i love it
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Oh dear, that's one of the coolest designs I've seen in quite a while smile.gif
    [ QUOTE ]
    [...] there will be stretching somewhere any way you do it because of the shape extruding out

[/ QUOTE ]
    I think we all see the solution to this problem. Humans need to stop having noses.
  • danpants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpants polycounter lvl 14
    You will always get distortion on the nose no matter what. I usually get the worst on the ear. Try unwrapping it differently. I try to get the least distortion and count my losses. Good Luck. And nice design.
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    As mentioned earlier it would be easier to help you if you post the uvmap for us to look at.

In cases like this i steal pixel density from the areas around, from the nose and bridge of the nose, this usually works okay.
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    A) Awesome model. Can't wait to see her textured!

B) It's been said four times already, but yeah-- not much getting around the nose distortion. EQ is right-- map one half of the head then mirror it-- that's what I do with low poly models, especially if the face is always going to be symmetrical. If you want asymmetry, lay out the UVs for one half, mirror that geo, then select the UVs for the new half and flip them so they make up the whole face.

Something else you can do as well, is give more texture space to the nose, eyes and mouth by expanding their UVs then contracting those of the forehead and cheeks, since they generally have less information in them. Basic rule of thumb would be that you want more resolution where you want more detail in the texture.

Hope this helped.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If you were just going to do a diffuse texture and leave it at that you might be able to get away with cutting the nose out and mapping it seperately. With a normalmap though, you're likely to have far too many problems with seams for that to be worth attempting.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I usually just use the relax feature that max has or use uvhelp to relax it and then just tweak it off what it gives me.

There will always be distortion but you should be able to get lower distortion than what you have right now.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the design, her construction is awesome, good luck on the distortion free nose...

You might be able to pull the nostrils back into the cheeks as they can hide some distortion better then the nose will. You'll never get rid of distortion you can only hope to hide it well.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    cut the nose in half vertically and mirror just the nose, on the unwrap the uvs will fill the gap left by the missing half and give you little distortion
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Luv them model but the tip of the problematic nose could use some more polys.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    nice model, but the mesh and poly flow aren''t perfect
    be cautious with ring loops and i am thinking that you have too much polys on the boots, which could go to the rest of the body.
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    omg!! I'm lovin this piece. As for your UV probs I can't offer anything more than what has been posted already. GL and keep us updated on this smile.gif
  • marro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the positive response, glad so many like it!

here's the map:

mapic2.jpg

i used roadkill to cut it up & stuff, and then the relax tools in max.

thanks for the tips everybody i will try them as soon as i have the time!

conte, i don't even know what ringloops are. care to explain?

again, thanks everyone for the tips!
  • vertexguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From the close up you posted it looks like your unwrap doesn't match the model very well. You should always try to keep things 1 to 1 as much as possible or you'll get distortion and uneven distribution of detail. If you applied a planar uv from the front of the head to the front of the ears you should get a better idea of what 1 to 1 is. Now with planar, you're obviously going to get some stretching on the side areas that would need fixing, but the point is you should try to keep the proportions of the eyes, nose, and mouth as close to the original as possible. This will make texturing a lot easier too because it will be more like painting a normal human rather than trying to compensate for a distorted unwrap. The checker board really isn't the best method for getting even distribution of pixel to textel space. This is an organic object, and thus will always have curves. Because it has curves, its impossible to use a square map on it and get it perfect. Your uving / texturing should follow the natural curves of the model as much as possible. A cylindrical map is usually the best starting point for a head. Just make sure in max that you make the map size squared (x,y,z) to the biggest number it auto fits to and then you will get accurate proportions. You also may need to reset the xform if you still get messed up unwraps.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Awesomely stylish model! smile.gif

However, some areas of the model are very dense, such as the hands, the face, the boots and even the detailed nipples. In comparison, the pants are painfully lowpoly. I think they really need more polygons, especially in the crotch area, because what you have here might not deform well in animation. Also, it just looks strange to have last gen parts on something that looks current gen otherwise.