Home General Discussion

upgrading laptop

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
I bought a cheapish laptop in a hurry last year, but then realised it had a pretty terible video car setup - Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset.
its meant to suppport shader model 2.0 , but that apparently bollocks.
none of the dx shaders work with 3dsmax as do none of the more recent video games releases.
Just wondered if it was possible to upgrade the vid card. ha its not really a vid card, just some on board setup.
The make is an acer aspire dual core 5633 wlmi.

i did google quite a bit on this and its a bit unclear whether you can actuallly upgrade or even somehow enable shader model 2.0.
I have a feeling am stuck with it:(

Replies

• pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Call the manufacturer to be sure but most laptops especially those ones are integrated thus I'm afraid not but why don't you call and find out?

i own one of those as well but it was way back then when I needed to work on school assignments.
  • steady
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know about you guys but I've been eyeing this new ultra compact laptop that ASUS just came out with:

The Eee PC
    http://wiki.eeeuser.com/eee_pc_701
    Check out some pics of the tiny 7" goodness here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/eeeuser/sets/72157602733862625/

It is $400, has no harddrive or cdrom drive, only uses flash memory, comes with a version of linux and open office.

It looks so cool and I am trying to sell some of my old junk to raise the funds to buy one.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Its just a shame there is no hack to enable shader model 2.0 as it does in theory support it.
    Its not a bad machine really and it runs zbrush fine. I am presuming zbrush is opengl.
    steady i am after a work machine really, but don't want to spend a fortune
  • sonic
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Most laptops don't have the ability to upgrade the video card, especially if it only has integrated graphics. If you have the 945 chipset, that means you likely have the GMA900 card, or the GMA950. I thought they supported SM2.0, but if they don't then you're outta luck.

Of note, Dell has a Vostro laptop that you can pickup for around $750 with a C2D processor and a 8600gt.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well they do support shader model 2.0 according to the website, but in 3dsmax, anything that is direct x comes out invisible.
    really annoying
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, that's not completely correct Sonic. Most laptops have a video card daughter board, which you can swap out somewhat easily. If there was a video card option with the shader available with his model/generation, then it can most likely be purchased and installed. As pliang suggested, it may be worth contacting the manufacturer to see what the part number would be (if it exists). Then do a search on Ebay wink.gif
  • sonic
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    notman: most laptops do not have a video card daughterboard. He says he has the 945GM chipset, which means he most likely has a GMA900 or 950 integrated card. These are integrated in to the mobo, and cannot be upgraded. Many manufacturers that do have daughterboards will solder them in so that they cannot be upgraded.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I've taken apart MANY laptops (salvaged from garbage at work) and I have about 5 of the daughterboards on my desk at work. My current laptop(zd8000) has a daughterboard that can be removed also. Dell and HP are pretty good about this. Other makers, I don't know since I haven't torn them apart wink.gif

I'm not trying to start a pissing match here... just saying what I've experienced smile.gif I'm an electronics guy, just like I know you are.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    the HP zd series is a pile of shit avoid at all costs
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I have a HP as well but not like I use it for the mentioned above...just for word
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    the HP zd series is a pile of shit avoid at all costs

[/ QUOTE ]
    hahah, I don't think I'll ever be able to post about my laptop without thinking of you hawken wink.gif (for the record, my video hasn't melted down yet :P)