Home General Discussion

game test in a portfolio??

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
breakneck polycounter lvl 13
just wondering if it would be wise to put an art test that turned out good into my portfolio? I wasn't sure if there was some sort of etiquette involved with these things. Thanks!

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might need to check with the company that issued you the test some companies send out concepts for games currently in production and make you sign an NDA. You run the same risk as students who put class projects in their portfolio, other people with the same thing. Sometimes its nice to see the same piece done different ways especially if you did a great job or put a cool new spin on it. I don't see an issue with it as long as the above criteria are met.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Plus, a failed art test declares 'hey, guys, look! ____ company didn't think I was good enough to hire me!' Why would that inspire your potential future employer to hire you?

Whether the art's amazing or not, conventional wisdom is that it's better not to showcase your failures. Why not just take a week or two and do an amazing piece of art that has no negative connotations?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well SupRore, you might do a bloody awesome art test and then not get the job due to relocation reasons, or the company already filled the spot or something. Just because you did the test and didn't get the job doesn't make your art test a "failure".

Also, how does someone viewing the portfolio know that the art test didn't get you the job? It's not like you need to put a disclaimer on the images saying "I didn't get the job with this!". Just show the art if it's good, that's enough.

I think it's common sense that you shouldn't include bad work.

Obviously if you signed an NDA before doing the test then you will need to get clearance from the company before you can post it.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Also, how does someone viewing the portfolio know that the art test didn't get you the job?

[/ QUOTE ]

The resume should make that pretty clear, and most people post theirs on their portfolio site. I know in a lot of cases there are art unrelated reasons not to get a job, but it just seems like bad marketing to let potential employers explicitly know you didn't get hired by another company.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    how would the resume would make that clear? Lol

suprore, u sir are a NOOB that like to argue. such a shame, less talk more practice!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    how would the resume would make that clear? Lol

[/ QUOTE ]

If you say you did an art test for a company and your resume shows no industry work experience, it would be fairly evident you didn't get the job. I guess that's my definition of clear.

Anyway, not arguing, just trying to offer advice. I do have some understanding of marketing, or at least the very basics, and advertising a rejection just seems like a good way to make the reader think less of you. Anyway, you guys naturally know better than me when it comes to industry stuff, so I suppose breakneck can just disregard my answer.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for all the replies so far. The reason i am curious is because i've seen several game companies that offer you their art test on their web site. Either way, some good advise - thanks again
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    SupRore: Like I said, just because you didn't get a job because of an art test, does not mean it's a failure or rejection. I don't see why anyone should refrain from putting up an art test which didn't get them a job, if it was a good piece of work.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    SupRore: Like I said, just because you didn't get a job because of an art test, does not mean it's a failure or rejection. I don't see why anyone should refrain from putting up an art test which didn't get them a job, if it was a good piece of work.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you're saying is true, but I still just see it as having a little bit of a negative connotation. And since most art tests I've seen are on a 1-2 week time limit tops, it doesn't seem like it'd hurt that much just to make an original asset for that spot in your portfolio instead. I guess it's not really a big deal, though.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its very simple.

You put your best art in your portfolio.

If an art test is your best art, you probably need to practice more smile.gif

Seriously though, good is good, art test or not.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I don't see a problem with it unless the company that gave it to you told you not to. If it's good work and you are proud of it show it, when it doesn't measure up take it out, simple as that and replace it with another piece that represents your skills better.

Alex

Alex
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    if it turned out good why not ?
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    I put an art test I was happy with in my last portfolio. Funny thing was when I had the interview, one of the people interviewing me had been involved in reviewing my test at the previous company. So we had a laugh about that and I ended up getting hired. So I guess the point is, there are many factors in "not getting a job", but good art is still good art. Like Professor420 said:)
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Yea I've passed an art test and turned down the job before, its no biggie. If it looks good, put it in until its not as good as your newer work. Got to replace some of my junk sometime blush.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Put the art test in, sans the concepts, and don't mention that it was an art test.

Easy solution.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Put the art test in, sans the concepts, and don't mention that it was an art test.

Easy solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, except for the fact that a lot of art tests are so generically recognisable that someone's bound to have seen them before, but whatever smile.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I was hired because of another company's art test. Mt web site is mostly made up of art tests.

So yes if its good put it in. If they recognize your work as an art test first off that means you did a good enough job on it that it looks like the art test. Second off you now have something to talk about like why you did it and what happened. This helps them get to know more about you as a person and know if you will fit with the team.

Remember just because you can make great art doesn't mean that you can get any job. You still have to have a personality that will fit with the team.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    If the art test is generic and recognizable as an art test, don't use it. If the art test is something more unique, then use it.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Nah, I'd say use it your site regardless.

This really isn't a big issue. If the work you did is great, then put it on your portfolio. If they want to ask questions, they'll ask. And if it's good enough, it's good enough.

I've seen the Next Level games art test a bajillion times an applicants portfolio. Granted, NLG used to offer it to anyone who browsed their site, but I never questioned why it was on there.

In the end, you just want show your best work. If an art test happened to have been some of your best, show it.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for all the opinons guys
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Good art is good art. If I'm checking out someone's work as a potential hire I don't care why he/she wasn't a good fit for the last app, I only care if he/she is a good fit for our team.