Home Technical Talk

How can i adjust mesh after rigging?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kunglao polycounter lvl 18
I have rigged my female character (see Treena Game Design Section) using skin and biped.
I posed her with auto key on so when i turn on figure mode it snaps back to t pose.
I need to make a couple of changes to the mesh.1st i want to scale the whole model down,2nd i want to scale feet and lengthen her navel slightly.
Is there any way i can do this and preserve rig so when tweaking finished i can reassign skin and load my saved file.
I am new to rigging and would appreciate any advice,links etc.

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    two methods spring to mind. For what you asked:

Go to skin

Enable Vertices at the top (tickbox)

Select all verts in the skin modifier.

Bake them with the bake icon (looks like an oven)

In advanced, save your weights.

If you didn't bake, all you save is the envelopes, by baking first you get a perfect save.

Adjust, add skin, add bones, load weights.

Now, ANOTHER way of doing it is to just turn skin off, make all you adjustments, then turn skin back on. In Advanced, just toggle the always Deform box off and back on again.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you might be able to turn on pose mode and scale the pieces you wish to change, that might save you from having to reskin, or like Rick said bake/save/reload.
  • kunglao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kunglao polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for your advice guys.Appreciated.
    Rick i went with your 2nd option and it seems to have done the trick.
    Rigging/animation is new to me and i am looking to order a training E-DVD called Autodesk® 3ds Max® Techniques | Rigging a Character for Games from Autodesk online store.However the problem at the moment is it appears to be available only to those in the US.I have emailed them about this as surely being a E-DVD i should be able to pay and download it here in the uk.
    Here is link if anyone is interested.Its just what i have been looking for-
    http://store.autodesk.com/servlet/Contro...ductID=81370100