Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demon W.I.P

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Spark polycounter lvl 18
Yeah, I know another demon head from Spark:P Well, what can I say other than I like em:) This is from a new base head mesh that Kenneth Scott helped me refine. And have spent about 5 hrs on him playing around with subtools and alpha brushes. Any comments and crits are always welcomed, and plan to update him with a few things I wanted to add to him. Thanks for looking
Spark

demonwipwl5.jpg

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    i'd love to give you some crits but like

it's awesome
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    agree, amazing work.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    looks amazing! that's a sad demon tongue.gif i thought of a crit/tip! try to get some asymmetry in there, because now some things look a bit weird, especially his eyebrows and forehead.
    took me a while to come up with that tongue.gif
    keep it up!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    freakin awesome man

if you want crits, I gots words for ya. The skull and area surrounding the horns. The horns are great (though you're probably planning on adding more details to them). The head where they attach, however, is pretty boring. Instead of just smooth happy regular skull then all of a sudden WHOA CRAZY LUMPY SPIKEY NUTTY HORNS STICKING OUT, what about adding bone folds and formations around the horny area? Maybe some circular features under the skin, places where calcium has built up leading up to and around the the horns, etc? Make them feel more like natural features grown out from the skull rather than imlpants. Not that they look like implants. Jussayin'

<3
  • CheeseOnToast
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Stunning work, Spark.
    No C&C from me, just keep at it.

-caseyjones
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    try breaking up the symmetry
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I always love seeing your sculpts, Spark. Tons of style, and they're really inspiring. Keep us posted with MOAR! laugh.gif
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome man, really well balanced feature wise....
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Looks amazing. The horns need to fuse more with the head though, right now they look like they're just glued on, when real horns (seen on skulls) are connected to the skull, or other underlying bone.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    great work dude ! I really like all the subtle details you have all around. Now, finish him ! :]
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Dazzling! I really dig the proportions. I agree that the skin around the horns could tell a more interesting tale of what's beneath. Other than that no crit smile.gif
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    Nice one! Its got plenty of character!
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys, thanks for all the great responses:) Yeah, I will definetely add some skin indentations where the horns are hitting the skull, along with maybe adding a scar,or something to help the asymetry for the piece. I'll take a shot later today of a few directions I was thinking about, such as a iron collar, and some bandages to get some feedback. Thanks again for looking.

Spark
  • onelung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelung polycounter lvl 18
    awesome man! i love demon heads wink.gif Not sure what else your adding, so ignore what you will of my rant.

Great little spikes outta the back, might play with having some skin ride up a tad more on one or 2, just to separate them a tad more from each other

The details and structure in the face are wicked. The nose/ brow suggest your going to give him some snarling action, might play with giving the eyelid a little more up or down to go with the rest.

Like the weight your putting under the horns from the skull, looking forward to see how you get those set into the head, and what your planning to bust up the symmetry.

Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing man.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, I went ahead and decided to take this guy further than making him just a fun bust. But at the moment I am kinda stuck on what to add to him to make it better. So any help and critiques will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!

Spark
    demon_wip.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    a spell book and some glasses, looking pimp man wink.gif
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    haha, that's a great idea man smile.gif Killer start on the whole model as usual.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    he's got a wang-dang!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    cool start dude smile.gif !
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    judging by his shoulders and neck in the original render I was expecting his body to be skinny and frail like a goblin... except with huge horns on his head. It would have been pretty cool, any way.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, not what i expected his body to look like, either.

reeeeeally like the bust. the body is good, just not as catered to my tastes as the bust was.

his pose kind of reads like he's saying "hold on guys... hold on. hoooooold on, i'm seriously going to poop. hold on..."

but rigging him will solve that
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it!

He does look a little off balance tho, does he have a tail as a counter weight?
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    How about some shorts! shoot smile.gif

Looking sweet. Fun evil.

How about a more violent spike in those hooves. They look kind of soft now and not as devilish as they could I think.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys, haha thanks for all the comments ( Yes EQ: he has a wangadang, but it's seriously small, hence him being so upset:) )
    On the body, yeah Im going to make him skinnier, with more of a hunched back to help his low hanging belly. Vig, he does have a tail, though not to large so hopefully his pose will help balance him out. TWilson, I'll add more dangerous spikes to him to hopefully bring him closer to his evil side:) Here is an update on the piece, I decided to continue and make this like a full sculpture, giving him a base, and some minons that are poking into the fires of hell to torment those who stole candy bars as kids:P Also, here is a shot of where I am at on the minion, I will keep updating when I get more done, and any commments are always helpfull:)

Spark demonlord_base_wip.jpg
    demonminion_wip.jpg
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    Really cool Spark, its been fun watching this one come together.
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    hey Spark, looks cool. arms and hands coming out of the pit look nice. new minion looks interesting, i like the subtlety of the surface details in your work. for your minion, i think the chest could be lowered, and generally the body does not seem designed to support the head. also, the feet look better proportioned in the side view, i feel like they could be wider in the front. he seems a bit off-balance on the rock like he might fall in. don't know where you are at on this, so maybe some moot points in there. looking forward to upadates smile.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    the minion looks cool dude, extra points for the wee-wee
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    at the rate you're going, you going to be the next 3d superstar! Very good stuff sparky, extremely believable anatomy
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    At first I thought he had no lats but anyways...lower the chest area a little bit perhaps and it will shine.

Mangled genitals look awesome.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    The little guy's wee wee is bigger than the big guy's wee wee. Is that why big guy has a whip? to punish the little one for being more of a man?!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    The little guy's wee wee is bigger than the big guy's wee wee. Is that why big guy has a whip? to punish the little one for being more of a man?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually penises and ears etc do not develop in proportion to body size, because they have no bones.
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
    Great work in here, love the minions, More, more!
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for all the comments guys, it's helping me continue this piece. It looks like the wee wee is a win! haha so I will definetely keep that in.
    Vahl: Thanks, preciate you checking out the piece.
    Dom: I don't know about that, but I really apprecaite you liking the piece.
    Pliang: I will drop the chest some more to see if that helps that region, still not sure what to do to cover up my break, as I had a robe, but it's covering up to much of what I want to keep.
    Likewise: Yeah the big one will be sure to leave a few marks in the little minions, for having a bigger #$@%:)
    Hawken: Hahhaha, thanks for that scientific background, but why are they called boners? if they have no bones:P
    Struve: Thanks my friend, I will post an update soon...like now:)
    This is what I did over lunch, just trying to flesh out the stone base that he is standing on, though it feels more ice like than stalagtite which I was going for. Please keep the crits coming, as they are really helping!

Spark
    demonlord_stonebase.jpg
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    cool as hell! wink.gif I'd say some of the stalagmites dont look entirely believable, perhaps too thin and smooth but its awesome to see you flesh out the diorama.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya I dont like the dripping rock look. But the demon is top notch. very scary
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    obviously it depends on the rock, but its possible to get stalactites pretty slim: http://www.physics.utoronto.ca/~rhui/Colloquium04-05/stalactite.jpg although a lot of the google image ones are much more unevenly shaped
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    looks awesome man!

crits for stalagtitemitewhatevers: Rocks don't just... drip. The stalagwhatevers that hang down from cielings are just liquid condensing and/or seeping through the roof and then almost-but-not-quite dripping down. Since the rock is so small and the underside is angled so steeply, the liquid that would cause stalagwhatevers would just roll down the underside and not do what you're trying to make them do. Add some overhanging, low-sitting outcrops on the underside, to give the stalagliquid a place to condense and grow from. You could also add a smooth rocky "icing" on top to show that the rock has been dripped on from above, and give visual indication of where the underside stalags came from. Might also want to add some upward-pointing stalags to add to that effect. Or something.

Hope that helps... you're rockin the hot pregnant demon goat thing like no other!
  • FearMe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I live near a really big underground cave. There's a rock there called the ice cream rock, I think it has an effect that might help your rock a little bit.

http://www.jakopin.net/primoz/clanki/2004_nj/pj07959b.jpg
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Adding on...do a little geology research on Google.

Or go to this site

http://www.undergroundkent.co.uk/ww2.htm

Has some underground surroundings like yours.