Home Technical Talk

photogrammetry

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
i've been trying to make a model based on 3 pictures, and some photogrammetric stuff. but its just... hours of adjustments...
does anyone here have any formulas, or general knowledge about photogrammetry to make it a bit easier?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's dedicated software for this IIRC, what are you using?
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i tried a few techniques in 3ds max.
    cameras and photos.. then aligning them.
    i also tried ordering photomodeler, but i couldn't reach the reseller, and they dont sell it in norway.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There used to be more software out there for this, but here are some things to look into.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=3D+model+photos

The 3DSOM tool looks great, if it really works, but it better work for the price they're asking.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the efficiency lies in ease of accuracy. as an anal perfectionist, line drawings are rarely accurate enough.
    and when it comes to tank interior modeling, 10cm off here and there equals disaster. the turret ring of my leopard model was off by 10cm, and the whole interior became skewed, and made it impossible to fit soldiers into their proper places.
    other times, i work after a line drawing, only to find out a certain shape is 10cm off. then i spend 3 hours, with conflicting thoughts whether i should just not give a shit, and fudge it, or try and figure out where the shape is wrong, move things around, and re-UV it.
    i guess my mindset is a bit wrong, but then again, what seems like a slight detail, could have a massive impact on the overall model.
    take the M1 abrams as an example.
    the M1 series has an extremely heavily sloped upper front hull, in the 75-85 degrees range. a slight increase in angle, of just 1 degree, will result in the armour increasing with almost 50mm RHAe.
    this is basically the difference between impenetrable, and a kill at most ranges.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Photogrammetry is only going to help then if you know precisely where the camera was in relation to the subject, and what lens was used. You're not going to get that kind of accuracy from these programs.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    found this:

http://www.photo3d.com/download_win.htm
    its sex. it just completely does what its supposed to do. no nonsense.
    and the tutorial is similarly no-nonsense.
    its perfect for what i intended it for: proportion measurement.