Home Technical Talk

Vertex Lighting?

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Cody polycounter lvl 15
Anyone know some good light baking/vertex lighting/ambient occlusion tutorials?
I've seen it mentioned around before. But I'm not really sure how to do it or really what it is.
After you bake the light into the model, do you not have to light your scene? How does it work, I say, how? confused.gif

Replies

• monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Bobo has a tutorial on vertex baking.

http://www.bobotheseal.com/tuts_vertex_bake01.htm

I'm pretty sure you'd still need to light your scene, but baking in the shadows does the majority of the work for you. Please correct me if I'm wrong for lo, I am but a monkey.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure what 3D app you're using? I use max and here is what I can give you in the short time I have.

Quick and Dirty AO:
    Switch your render to Mental Ray, in the reflection map slot, pick "Ambient Occlusion", drop a sky light in your scene, and render your brains out.

The key things you want to google/look up in the help files is "Render To Texture". I think the hot key is 0 or 9.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

After you bake the light into the model, do you not have to light your scene? How does it work, I say, how? confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Vertex baking into the vertex colour channel of the model is just that - as long as your engine handles it, you've baked colour into the model. It's not quite as useful on animated/deforming objects such as characters, but the inside of cuffs, insode of nostrils ets rarely seet light, so it does work.

It comes into its own on environments, where a good ambient bake will darken crevices - the underside of windowsills, the corners of girders etc. If you as the player has full control over the lights, with a torch for example, and full control where you can point that light, then it breaks. But at moment it's a great CHEAP way of adding depth to a scene.