Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Just Finished,Cloud

fuxer
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
fuxer polycounter lvl 18
nice subject huh? :P
Here's my latest project,it took me 2days to model and 3 to texture,with a big 1.5 week gap between the two lol
cloudfd1.jpg

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work! Nice pose, amazing face and hair.

Crits:
    - Spec is too shinny and looks to be the same level on everything, making it all look like plastic.
    - The feet look off, the heal specifically looks like it just disappeared. If you scaled the boot toe up alittle it might help capture the anime boot look without compromising the realistic style.
    - The shoulder armor could be thicker. It also needs those little cylinder spikes.
    - He also needs his glove/wrapped hand, it was kind of important to the story I think...
    - The fingers holding the sword are losing shape and not posed correctly. You should thicken the fingers up since you always lose mass when bending the links.
    - Some of the style is being lost, the hands/gloves should be bigger to capture more of an anime look. I understand you're going for a more realistic approach but you want to capture at least some of that style in the hands, it will help balance out the character.
    - The pants look filled full of helium, gravity and more extreme angles on the pants can help that along.
    - The texture on the sword looks more like concrete then it does metal. Too many cracks, and not enough scrapes/cuts.
    Ref I was looking at:http://www.creativeuncut.com/media/ff7-cloud.jpg

Looks really good as it is but a few hours of clean up work and it'll be FF quality =)
  • fuxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuxer polycounter lvl 18
    this is exactly the crits i needed,thanks alot Vig.
    I have some probs with the rig,wich is giving bad deformation on the feet and hands but im fixing them.
    Just added the armory on the hand and gloove,makes him look cooler,thanx for reminding me that.
    I'm posting a new pic very soon
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Specular map looks almost worthless. Why is it all black and white, and why doesn't it have any details in it? All of that wear in your metal could be defined in it, with a much flatter/cleaner diffuse, and not only would you not be wasting your spec map, it'd look a whole lot more convincing. Even if you're planning for an engine with grayscale spec, at least do something with it. Right now you may as well just have diffuse and normals only.

The diffuse and normals definitely look pretty good, but without making the most of your spec there's only so much you can do on a normal mapped model.
  • fuxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuxer polycounter lvl 18
    here's an update following crits
    Suprore tnx,i understand what you say and i'll see if i can fix the specs again,tnx though smile.gif
    2001006649491566137_rs.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty good, here are my crits:

-the overall shapes look a little unrefined bubbly, mostly in the legs and feet. He looks like he's standing on top of a fan, filling his loose pants up with air so they puff out like that. It doesn't look like the material/shape could achieve that look on its own. His ankles look a little broken, like you grabbed the feet at one point and rotated them without retouching the ankle verts. This could be the rigging, though.

-the rigging could be touched up a bit. It's a great pose and goes a long way towards the presentation, but it needs a bit more love. The hand holding the sword is bent unnaturally at the wrist

-how are his pauldrons attached? they seem to just be floating. I'm not real familiar with Cloud's original design, but it sticks out to me.

-I think it is the smooth, curving scratches that are making the sword look concrete... where would it get such a crack? scratches would come from other swords [presumably] which would leave straight scratches. uv layout is wasting a lot of space. I would have probably cut the blade in half and broken the uvs that way, to maximize the texture space. can get tricky with the seam, though.

-the shape of his face looks off to me. too spherical, maybe? hard to determine from this shot, though. but it definitely feels 'off' to me.

I really like the addition of that bangle-thingie onto his wrist. it turned out great, and took care of my other complaint, which would have been how thin his wrists were.

Any chance of getting some more shots of the model, preferably before rigging?
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Wow this is looking really nice, wish we could get a nice shot of the sword.
  • fuxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuxer polycounter lvl 18
    tnx Sectaurs
    Here's the model without the rig,as i imported him in max.Im going to sleep now,but i'll work on him tomorrow,thanks alot smile.gif
    kopc1.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    hrm, his face looks pretty good. guess it was just the angle wink.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    he only has one shouler pad (on his left shoulder) and only the left strap has a wider part on it.
    the right glove should be different, wider and more open around the wrist, no bandages but a piece of cloth underneath it.
    the tip of the shoes should be wider too, try to place them on top of a foot picture to see if that can fit in.

I don't know if you're looking for realistic proportions or not, but if you want to make it as stylized as the ref, you should make the legs longer, even for realistic proportions, legs are too small overall, i'd scale that up a little (wider hips, longer legs, etc)

why the double belts ? I think it makes the torso look longer, thus the legs shorter (again), they don't really "mark" the waist as they should.

just my 2 cents tho, nitpicking, etc, keep it up man, looking good.
  • fuxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuxer polycounter lvl 18
    hmm there is some kind of missunderstanding,mostly bcz i didnt explain it very well smile.gif
    The Cloud i did is not from the movie,not from the psx game and not from the old concept of him.Im making the youger one that appeared on Crisis Core for the psp.Here's a screen of the cloud i did.I'm really going to redo the specs diffuse on the clothes as they look bad,i must admit it smile.gif
    I'll be sure to kick in another update tonight thanks to the crits from you guys,those helped me improve it alot since the first version i showcased smile.gif
    koqw4.jpg
  • fuxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuxer polycounter lvl 18
    i hope im doing better now...?
    cloudtc9.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Big improvements, the metal sword material is looking great. Adjusting the spec maps is really paying off, nice work =)
  • fuxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuxer polycounter lvl 18
    thanks to you guys,i'm really thankful to your crits smile.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Spec is looking a whole lot better, good work!

I still think you can push the detail in the spec a bit more, a good specular map can carry a ton of surface information. But it's definitely looking good as is, and that may mess with the clean/animeish look.
  • fuxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuxer polycounter lvl 18
    yeah tnx smile.gif i'd love to see some good spec map work if you can suggest me anything,i'm not that used to normal mapped characters as im still learning.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    too bad you removed the originals, I would of liked to have seen the progression.
  • fuxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuxer polycounter lvl 18
    sorry about that,its up again at the top
    Here's the sword for the guy who asked about it smile.gif
    busterek5.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    wtfgackt.jpg

your buster sword is wrong. cloud took the one zack is holding.