Home Technical Talk

Silo uv-troubles

Since Silo's uv-ing is still a bit bug-riddled and useless to me (no merging in the uv-editor? wtf), I use Roadkill for that part of my workflow, also because of its coloured stretch-display, which is quite nice. I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem though, since I can't seem to get mirrored UVs the way I'm doing it. I make my model in Silo, delete the to-be-mirrored polygons on one side of the mesh (to be mirrored back once they're uv'd). Once I mirror the roadkill-unwrapped mesh in Silo, everything seems fine, untill I export back out, when I find that it didn't actually save my uv's, and all my work was for nothing. Am I really going to have to go to max for my unwrapping? I know someone else (gwot?)on here posted about using Silo together with UVLayout a while back, mind explaining how you do it? The problem seems to be in Silo, as it just trashes any uvs when you mirror, it seems. Or maybe it's because I mirror the mesh, turn off symmetry, delete whatever I dont want to be mirrored and merge in the unique parts? I'd copy paste instead of mirror, but that's broken in the latest beta, hah.

Replies

• James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    There are a few issues with UVs in Silo as far as I know. They really aren't ready for serious use yet imo. As it happens in my process, I'm pretty much done with Silo by the time I send the mesh off to UVLayout. I really have no need to go back at that point, so I'm not encountering these errors at all.

Awhile back I was doing like you and finishing off the mapping in another program but UVLayout has some nice features for doing that stuff now as well so my UV work pretty much stays in one place. By the time I get the mesh to XSI I'm ready to rig it. Any other minor issues that could crop up can easily be fixed in XSI at that point.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair enough, I'll have to find a way around this for now, then.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    You can weld, align and mirror in Blender. Downside is when you mirror, the seams of your mirrored parts get welded together (you could import to silo and break them.

In the Silo UV editor go to Select Menu > Select Special Geometry > Select Faces with 1 edges = UV Border Selection, so you can break all the weld edges.