Home General Discussion

Brom's "The Plucker" optioned for movie.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
Now this could be interesting if it goes ahead (and if no one screws it up). A dark, Gothic version of Toy Story penned by everyones favourite, equally dark and Gothic artist.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117973293.html?categoryid=13&cs=1
Anyone else read the story?

Replies

• Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I love Brom's art but could never stand his writing. Too emo for me...but I love his art! laugh.gif

Gav
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    The story was decent but the art made that book just spectacular. There are no other illustrated books with that level of polish on every page. LOVED the art.

As far as a movie, I think they could make an excellent movie out of it. Hopefully it doesnt run too far over an hour though.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Emo wouldn't have been a term I would have attributed to The Plucker. What else has he written besides the new one, The Devils Rose?
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I have it and thought the writing was unbearable, but the art was fantastic. I remember the writing more... frown.gif
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Jackablade, If I remember correctly his other books of art "Offerings" and "Darkwerks" have snakker bits of writing in them. Personally, it's not my cup of tea. Emo may not have been the best word to use, but it seems as if it tries too hard to be morbid. I haven't read the Plucker or the Devil's Rose so maybe my argument isn't fair...I'm just basicing it on the little bits I have read. I can't imagine an entire book of it being that great though.. Don't get me wrong, I put Brom right at the top of my list for favorite artists smile.gif

Gav
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe, nice. Brom is actually coming here today to give a talk on his art workflow and other stuff. Should be pretty cool.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    yeah... lucky + 1 =p
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I met him at the Seattle Comic Con last year. He's a really great guy to talk to, not anything like I thought he would be, not nearly as dark and brooding as I thought he would be. I'm not sure how they would pull off a movie version of The Plucker. I hope it falls more in line with the style of Pans Labyrinth then 300 (over stylized), or breaks new ground...

I can see how someone who hasn't read anything other than the first blurb on the site, might see it as emo. Pain, darkness, the eternal painful dark of falling pain, of dark...ness's pain. I'm sure that was written/selected to pull in a very specific type of crowd. But taking the entire work into consideration it definitely isn't emo. The art just pushed it over the top.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    He's actually visiting here at Raven today, awesome guy. Really enjoyed his talk. He mentioned that there is a deal for a movie but it's in the very early stages, so not much to get excited about just yet.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    haha, anyone else first think Adam (AdamBrome/joi/milkjoi ;p) had written a script?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I just got back from his talk. It was really cool. Lots of crazy stories.

I never realized how small he works. He brought in some original paintings. Some really intricate stuff, in sizes no bigger than A5. He does a lot of bigger stuff too, but it was really mind boggling to see how small he paints. The cover for the plucker was maybe 10 inches big.