Home Technical Talk

Recording Viewport out of Maya

So I made a turn table of my models in Maya with normal, color, and spec maps applied, and I want to render out the animation. It looks good in the viewport, but when I render it, it looks way different for some reason (normal maps looks wierd, spec is a little different, etc...)

I am not a render person, and it would be better to show a real-time view port for a game reel anyways, so I would rather just capture the animation from the viewport...

I initially tried FRAPS, but couldn't get it to record a movie while Maya is running...

...anyone have any better suggestions or ideas? How do you guys capture turn tables for demo reels? Thanks for the help!

Replies

• SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, if you want a video of the viewport just use the playblast function (windows -> playblast). Just turn off all your HUD stuff, make sure you set the resolution high enough and you'll probably want to max anti-aliassing. I'd simply export an uncompessed avi file or if possible (not sure) seperate images.

Good luck
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    You could painstakingly screenshot ever frame of animation and save that out as a .TGA in photoshop then put it together in some video editing program?

Might not be so bad if all you're doing is a turn around.

Edit: Skullbox's idea is better. smile.gif
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    never thought about taking frame by frame screetshots before, that's new. Been doing it for stills tho.
  • Honolulu_Ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honolulu_Ninja polycounter lvl 17
    Click and hold with RMB on the play icon in the right corner. A list appears will then appear.
    Click on the box next to where it says playblast to change the resolution of your output.
    The playblast puts out a videclip of your scene from first to last frame.
    Everything visible inside the viewport gets in the movie, so remember to hide all the stuff you don't want to get in there. smile.gif
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    playblast

is there an echo in here?
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Try something else also, because I'm wondering if its the software render thats messing up the look.

Window > Rendering Editors > Hardware Render Buffer

Render > Attributes

You can set a bunch of attributes, but this uses hardware rendering to output your image files. Has a bit more options than playblast does, unless this doesn't work out the way you want to as well.