Home Technical Talk

vista is a fucking nightmare

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
well, today i just about had the worst experience with vista ever. my plan is to finish up my current model, and then get the hell out of vista ASAP, but it seems like even thats going to be one hell of a problem.
today... vista fucked up my PSD file. if i hadn't saved a backup copy of my PSD, i'd lost 2 weeks of work.
now my PSD file is locked, and no program is capable of accessing it. and it cannot be deleted either.
vista says "i need permission" to access it.
well fuck that.
vista can fucking burn in hell.

Replies

• East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I'm glad you backed it up. Really can save your ass when this happens.

I was having a look at Vista x64, because I need to be able to use the 4 gigs of RAM I have. I realised just using Vista would use up about a fourth of that memory.

So now I'm on XP x64, and XP's total memory stamp is just about 200 megs. Leaves a lot of room to put memory heavy ZBrush into.

So yeah. Whichever way you look at Vista, it's just not a good OS. Some people will say otherwise. These people are wrong.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Is there the f8 mode upon startup? If you can log in as admin, you might be able to move that file unto a disk to open on another system.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i always keep at least 2 backup copies of all my work, just in case catastrophy comes on one of its daily visits.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    people who Ive heard this argument with it being better has been 90 year olds and mac fans (I was at a best buy with a friend the other day and actually HEARD the argument, my frien d who works there looked to me with a tear in his eye for I could see he had given up all shreds of faith and hope in humanity and just wanted to die there)
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a mac fan and I've heard that Vista is pretty weak at the minute. Still, XP prior to SP1 wasn't terribly good either.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, i've tested it. and its true. 3ds max runs worse than my 3 year old laptop with XP. things starts to get choppy around 100.000 polygons.
    the performance is similar to the computer i had before that.
    and before i upgraded it with an Nvidia 5900xt.
    back when i had a geforce 3 card.
    and photoshop? i have nonsensical bugs where the mouse cursor slows down if i move it around fast. since i'm doing a lot of texturing of mechanical models, i create models with very long brush-strokes, and shift held down.
    a split-second of lag, and i have a brush stroke over the whole bitmap, and i have to undo, and draw again.
    then theres the dual screen support. which isn't.

every time i restart the computer, the secondary screen resets. and when the screen resets, photoshop resets.
    so the UI changes i do, gets reset as well, so every time i start photoshop, i have to move things around. again,
    which includes the screen, that i have in a configuration with one screen above another(dont have enough deskspace to have them side-by-side.
    and how about lately, when my external HD, where i save most of my stuff, stopped working on vista?
    it told me it was installing drivers for it. then it told me again, and again and again, and after that, it said there was an error with the device.
    i had to unplug the external HD, and plug it into my old computer, before it started working normally again.
    i'm sure vista somehow messed it up.
  • Honolulu_Ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honolulu_Ninja polycounter lvl 17
    The whole admin-thing is fucked up with vista, it's like you have to press proceed, allow and agree and ask nicely 50 times before you even can go and take a leak.
    Microsoft needs to fix this ASAP.
    Other than that, I have'nt had any huge problems with it... yet :P
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    dejawolf: As for the moving files thing, it's an admin account bug in Vista. Happened in XP too, just with vista it happens a LOT more often. Sometimes you can get arround the issue of not being able to copy or erase files by going into safe mode, or others creating a new admin account and using it instead, but in other cases you actualy have to boot to another OS entirly (linux or whatever) just to get by the stupid glitch X_x

Honolulu_Ninja: Well you can turn that off. It's called UAC (User Account Control). It's in your control panel admin settings.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Vista is a what???!??
    vistaisawhat.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heh, Brome thats the same reason I clicked on the thread.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I turned off UAC, and made myself the owner of the files on the C:\ drive. Haven't had any problems since. Oh, and I turned of DEP for Photoshop, Max, and any game just in case. I hear the SP1 for vista increase performence, and changes the way administration works.
  • Honolulu_Ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honolulu_Ninja polycounter lvl 17
    Polyhertz: Thanks for the pro-tip! I've just ignored it and got used to it this far. It's a mayor pain in the butt sometimes. :P
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    im running Vista with a QuadroFX 3500m, and aparently thay hate each other. Photoshop is just plain broken..and drivers are hard to findm but apparently SP1 is just around the corner and it fixes a lot of issues. Im sure Vista will be good someday.. just not right now.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I think the SP1 for Vista is just all the current hotfixes and updates bundled together, so that when you do a clean install you don't have to reboot 7 times. It might have a few other small things, but aside from that it's not going to be what SP2 was for XP.

So don't expect SP1 to fix anything that's currently broken in Vista.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    I expect it to fix PS:)I guess we will see.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/vista-sp1/win...1-08-308213.php

"...service pack to be faster overall than the shipping version of Windows Vista, and also noticed more drivers available and improved encryption. Randall also experienced applications within Adobe Creative Suite CS2 running faster, dialog boxes popping up more rapidly and other file copying speedups. This bodes well for the shipping version of SP1,"
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Here's hoping I'm wrong smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    If you're going to go back to XP keep this in mind: IT'S A PAIN IN THE FUCKING ASS

It took me 4 hours to do, no lie.

Good luck.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder why even as every new version of ms os is supposed to be more efficient, revised internal architecture, better use of hardware..., how come the average running costs + min requirements are rising (or games needing higher specs than on xp). kinda defeats the marketing argument..
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    My brother built a new PC and switched to Vista, but now has decided to go back to XP. Nothing has been effected by it, but he has to call up microsofts hotline to re activate his XP account.

Is there any advantage to Vista, other than being able to play the new Crysis enigne game? Because of the whole directx 10 thing.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While we're on the subject of Vista, I've got a question: Has anyone been able to get quicktime files to play in it properly? Regular quicktime seems to think that most of my files are corrupt, and qt alternative (Via K-Lite codec pack) drops fames all over the place, but XP runs them just fine. This is really annoying becuase alot of my reference, tutorials, and saved demo reels (I like watching peoples reels) are in mov format.
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    I don't care for Windows at all-- if Adobe made the Creative Suite for Linux, I'd be using Ubuntu right now. As it stands, I have no reason to dual boot my computer. Adobe is forcing me to use shitty Windows, and I can't afford a Mac...

Anyway, if you switch to ANY 64 bit Windows, make sure all your peripherals and cards and such have 64 bit drivers. My friend got Vista Ultimate x64 and found that Canon doesn't make drivers for his scanner-- I found they only make about 4 scanners that work with XP x64 OR Vista x64. Nor was his printer recognized by Vista, and the manufacturer refuses to make x64 drivers for it (I think it was HP, but I could be mistaken, since I gave him an HP printer and that one works).

I use XP x64 and notice no difference in performance of Photoshop, Maya, or ZBrush over XP 32bit (although I admit I've hardly been using ZBrush lately...)

iTunes doesn't fully work with x64 either. While I don't like iTunes, the cd Burning was phenomenal compared to Media Player-- but iTunes doesn't recognize the burner in x64 without a makeshift gear driver found on the net. Now, every time I update iTunes, I have to find and reinstall that stupid gear driver...mad.gif

Polyhertz-- have you reinstalled Quicktime? I don't have Vista, but it seems to work on my friend's computer, and he's running Vista x64 Ultimate-- maybe something just got messed up...? Try VLC Player too, that usually plays anything.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout: Nope, t's apparently a known issue with Vista Premium (doesn't seem to be with the other versions). I tried VLC player and got it working though that after messing with some settings. Just in case anyone else has the same issue, in VLC go to: Settings> Preferences> video> Output modules and select "windows GDI video output".

While i'm at it, some other things i've learned in my journey through the land of pain that is Vista: Turn off Gadgets and superfetch (via services), they both eat away at performance. And for those that use Daemon tools for anything, make sure to get the latest version before installing, as Vista will BSOD with older versions and fail from that point on to even load safe mode (a system recovery becomes necessary).